Women earn 3rd place in NYC

Scheper named MVP at Armory Collegiate Invitational

The South Carolina track and field team took part in the Armory Collegiate Invitational this past weekend in New York City. The No. 15 women’s team was particularly impressive, finishing third overall in a meet where more than 60 teams competed.

Senior high jumper Jeannelle Scheper was named MVP of the meet, maintaining her status as the national leader and remains undefeated on the season. Scheper was also named the AgSouth athlete of the week.

She said looking ahead, her coach’s instruction will be the biggest part of continuing her success.
“It’s really about working with my coach,” Scheper said. “She has a plan for me to do well in both the collegiate and international circuits.”

A few of the younger athletes on the women’s side had impressive weekends as well. The 4×400m relay team consisting of freshman Precious Holmes, sophomore Tyler Brockington, junior
Tamera Harris and freshman Briana Haith finished first with a time of 3:37.79.

Redshirt freshman Marisa Bellamy captured her first collegiate victory in the 400m college finals with a time of 55.30.

“It felt great to get the win,” Bellamy said. “I was overjoyed, I’d never thought I could win on a collegiate level coming from where I’m from, so it was great to get that win.”

Battling injuries, the men’s side had a few bright spots this weekend in junior Kendall Kee, who finished fourth in the 60m dash with a personal best 6.68. Senior Chris Royster had a successful finish on the 200m championship final with a time of 21.60.

Coach Curtis Frye was proud of both teams performances despite the nagging injuries to some key athletes.

“Overall it was a good trip,” Frye said. “All the athletes who competed put forth great effort. We’re getting close to the conference meet, and we are what we are: we don’t have the numbers some of these other teams have due to injuries. But we’re staying positive because injuries allow others on the team to step up and perform.”