Briefs

Potential Ebola scare grounds plane at Columbia Metro Airport 

On Friday, a plane from Dulles International Airport was grounded in Columbia after a passenger experienced a heavy nosebleed. The crew suspected it to be Ebola and notified the ground crew.  

The passenger has since been deemed a "low-level" risk according to the Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) because they have not had contact with anyone from West Africa. The other passengers have been placed in quarantine until full medical tests are run. 

Police believe Lake Wylie double murder not to be a random act of violence

Doug and Debbie London (63 and 61) were found dead in their Lake Wylie home on Thursday, shot "execution-style," The State reports. 

Daniel London (27), son of Mr. and Mrs. London, was asleep in the house at the time of the shootings and discovered his parents' bodies.

Their deaths closely follow an alleged burglary-turned-assault at Mr. London's business in Charlotte last May. Five months ago, the couple were at work at a mattress dealership in North Carolina when three men entered the store and attempted to rob the couple before opening fire. Charlotte and York County police have yet to find a connection between the two crimes.

Chemicals found in state park waterways

According to a recent study by the U.S. Geological Survey, waterways throughout the Congaree National Park contain high levels of harmful bacteria, chemicals and manufactured medicines. The increase is believed to be a result of sewage leakage and runoff.  

Congaree, South Carolina's only national park, will undergo a two year monitoring process carried out by Clemson University. The contaminates, including high levels of a chemical (ethynylesradiol) used in birth control pills as well as a second drug (carbamazepine) used in mood stabilizers, threaten wildlife in the park. Two sections of Cedar Creek, a popular canoe and kayak location for park-goers, tested positive for E. coli. 

High levels of caffeine in the water indicate that the chemical seepage originates from sewage facilities and septic tanks in Lower Richland.