In Brief: Nov. 5, 2014

Fort Jackson increases difficulty of entrance process for base

The days of getting into Fort Jackson by simply presenting a driver's license are now over;  as an attempt to prevent attacks, the FBI and U.S. Army have teamed up on new regulations requiring visitors to pass a background check for credentials to access the base, The State reported.

Passes can be received, after names are checked in the FBI National Crime Database, through the Physical Security Office at the base’s main gate on Forest Drive and Interstate 77.  An official policy is not yet in place for how long credentials last, but people who frequent the base can apply for extended passes lasting up to a year.

Access is easier on Wednesdays and Thursdays, which are the base's family and graduation days.  Col. Mike Graese says these events bring in roughly 6,000 people per week.

Police search for man with information on fires

Markeil Jamar Lewis, who is believed to have information on two house fires, is wanted by the Kershaw County Sheriff’s office, The State reported. Lewis has been described as a 5-foot-5-inch black man weighing 160 pounds.

According to department spokesman Dennis Ray, the house fires occurred Tuesday at 8:30 p.m. and Wednesday morning at 3:30 a.m. No injuries were reported from either incident.

The first fire happened on U.S. 1 near Richardson Boulevard and was responded to by the Lugoff, Blaney, Pine Grove and Doby’s Mill fire departments. The second happened on Wildwood Lane near Whitehead Road.

Children spanked over spilt milk in unlawful child neglect case

Christopher Glen Cooper was charged on two counts of unlawful child neglect and one failure to appear summons on Tuesday, The State reported. Booked in the J. Reuben Long Detention Center, Cooper received a bond set at $5,000 for the neglect charges and no bond for failure to appear.

The police report says the boys, ages 3 and 4, were spanked for possibly spilling milk on a baby, leading to the neglect charges. Cooper told Horry County police the boys had caused the injuries, which the police report identifies as marks on their chests, by falling.

The incident occurred over Halloween weekend and the report was filed Sunday. The police report does not elaborate on the extent of the boys' injuries.