Gamecocks dive into SEC championship

The five-day swimming and diving SEC championship began Tuesday with relays and diving. After the first day of competition, the men’s team sits in fourth place with 140 points, 37 points behind leader Auburn. South Carolina's women's team is currently seventh with a score of 120, 44 points behind first-place LSU. 

Prelims were held in the morning for men’s one-meter and women’s three-meter diving, and the Gamecocks made it to the finals in each event. 

Senior Cole Miller placed 10th in prelims to qualify for the finals in one-meter diving. The native Canadian jumped to fourth after diving in the finals, scoring 26 points for South Carolina. 

Sophomore Jordan Gotro and freshman Lyle Markman also scored points for the Gamecocks, placing 11th and 21st, respectively.

The men’s swimming team also enjoyed success Tuesday night, as the 200-medley team placed eighth with a time of 1:26.70, good for second best in school history. 

The men’s 800-freestyle team placed fifth with an NCAA automatic qualifying time of 6:21.05, also second-best in school history. 

The women’s 200-medley set the school record of 1:40.72, good for 11th against a tough field. 

In the women’s three-meter diving, senior Patty Kranz took third scoring 27 points for the Gamecocks. freshman Julia Vincent and freshman Marissa Roth placed 12th and 15th, respectively, to also influence the team score. 

In the final event of the night, the women’s 800-freestyle team broke the school record with a time of 7:10.71, placing tenth. 

Wednesday’s action will feature the 50 and 500-freestyles, as well as the women’s one-meter diving and both 200-IM events. Prelims begin at 10 a.m. central time, and the finals begin at 6 p.m.