Gamecocks in the pros: spring training edition

As the 2015 baseball season approaches, teams are frantically scouring their organizations for potential talent in spring training. 

South Carolina won back-to-back College World Series titles in 2010 and 2011 and has continued to be a perennial powerhouse in the seasons since. As such, many Gamecock alumni will find themselves on major league rosters come opening day. Included is a look at the most likely breakout performers in 2015.

Christian Walker 1B, Baltimore Orioles

The former Gamecock slugger was called up last September and got some playing time in a key playoff race for Baltimore. Walker went 3-18 with a double and a home run, though he struck out nine times.

In 139 minor league games, Walker hit 26 home runs and 96 RBIs with a respectable .288 batting average. Walker will have to keep his average up to succeed in the majors, but a guy with that much raw power is an asset to any team.

With starter Chris Davis suspended for the season’s first 25 games, Walker may have the chance to play a few games and prove himself a valuable part of a young Orioles organization.

Jackie Bradley Jr. OF, Boston Red Sox

Let’s be honest: 2014 was not an ideal year for the former Gamecock standout. While Bradley was one of the best defensive centerfielders, he struggled mightily at the plate. Hitting just .198 with a sky-high 28.6 percent strikeout rate, Bradley was demoted to Triple-A Pawtucket for the end of the season.

This season, Bradley starts as the fifth or sixth option in a deep Red Sox outfield. However, many teams see trade value in the 24-year-old, namely the Atlanta Braves.

If Bradley is dealt, he could have the chance to flourish as a key part of an inexperienced Braves team.

Whit Merrifield IF, Kansas City Royals

As the Kansas City Royals were Major League Baseball’s Cinderella team last October, their Triple-A affiliate, the Omaha Storm Chasers, won their championship led by Merrifield.

Merrifield hit .340 with 29 RBIs and 57 runs in 76 games for Omaha. He was invited to spring training as a non-roster invitee for the Royals, but could easily see playing time if his production in the minors continues.

Behind a deep, yet young, infield in Kansas City, Merrifield may struggle to get playing time. However, Merrifield is 4-13 with four runs and a triple in spring training. Besides, players that hit .340 in Triple-A ball usually don’t stay there for very long.

Sam Dyson P, Miami Marlins

Many experts have pegged former Gamecock great and College World Series hero Michael Roth as a pitcher that will have a breakout year, especially since the Indians, the team that originally drafted him in 2011, signed him. However, Roth is still about a year away from really flourishing.

Enter pitcher Sam Dyson.

Dyson had a drastically different road to the majors from Roth. He never fully reached his potential while at South Carolina. Despite an average junior season, The Toronto Blue Jays saw his raw talent and drafted him in the fourth round. Roth, on the other hand, was drafted more on his stats than his "stuff".

Dyson bounced between the majors and minors before landing in Miami. Last season, he had a 2.14 ERA in 42 innings. The difference was a change in velocity. The hard-throwing righty moved his fastball to around 96 mph and used his curveball more as an out pitch to make the jump to the majors. The Marlins will count on him often this season as they hope to compete in the NL East.