Columbia Museum of Art gala reflects World's Fair diversity

The Columbia Museum of Art’s annual fundraising gala is a grand affair that draws attention to the major spring exhibition, and also raises funds to support the museum’s critical role as a leader in arts education and appreciation for South Carolina.

The museum and Boyd Plaza will be transformed into a Victorian age fair with sculptures, themed food and décor as well as smartly dressed party guests. As they arrive at the gala, guests will pass through tents reflecting the beauty of Charles Courtney Curran’s delicate and floral paintings. But once guests enter the doors of the museum, the world will change to evoke the excitement and energy of life in 1893.

“The gala is always different because theme is different, but we always like to have an edge to our party,” said gala co-chair Julie Brenan. “It is amazing to see how the museum is transformed every year.”

The gala is co-chaired by prominent community members Julie Brenan and Steven Ford and supported by a team of more than 80 volunteers who help to transform the museum and make the gala a successful fundraising event.

“Volunteers have been working for weeks on sculptures and décor for the gala,” said development manager Elizabeth Wolfe. “Not even thanking them 20 times would be enough.”

The gala will feature performances by the USC Dance Company, music by The Root Doctors and special entertainment by Extreme Illusions & Escapes starring Josh Knotts & Lea. Another main attraction will be a “midway,” a term that arose during the 1893 World’s Fair to describe the vast expanse of different attractions, including exhibitions from different countries around the world.

“We are incorporating the international theme in our cuisine and décor,” Wolfe said. “It is sort of like a mini Epcot.”

The annual gala is the museum’s biggest fundraising event of the year. With the help of major sponsors like Jim Hudson Lexus and Lexington Medical Center, the Columbia Museum of Art is able to host an extraordinary evening to raise awareness and support for the museum’s community initiatives.

“Sometimes people see the museum and think of stuffy people walking through galleries with pretty paintings,” Brenan said. “I think that what people tend to forget is that the museum is a nonprofit organization and a lot of what we do is free for the community. A lot of the education and community outreach programs, concert series, lecture series and Sunday tours are all free. Having a vibrant museum just impacts the quality of life in the community so much.”

Brenan and Wolfe hope that this fundraiser supports the museum’s mission to become a “shining star” for not only Columbia, but the whole state.

“We are trying to reach people in every county in South Carolina,” Wolfe said. “Schools have had to cut a lot of arts programs. It is this fundraising that allows us to offer them artistic opportunities and free field trips.”

Donations to the gala provide the essential funds to support the museum’s mission to provide outstanding art and arts education for lifelong learning and community enrichment for all.

The Columbia community is invited to join the museum for its annual fundraising gala beginning at 7 p.m. on Saturday, March 21. Tickets to the black tie event are available for $150 and can be purchased at www.columbiamuseum.org/gala/.