South Carolina equestrian preps for SEC Championship

PHOTOS BY (c) ALLEN SHARPE and JENNY DILWORTH 2015

Ranked No. 1 overall in the nation, South Carolina's equestrian team is traveling to Texas to compete in the SEC Championship. The event is being held in College Station, and the Gamecocks are slated to face some tough competitors. South Carolina’s first matchup is Friday against No. 6 Texas A&M, a team that gave the Gamecocks one of their only three losses during this year’s regular-season. 

After facing Texas A&M on Friday, the Gamecocks will face either Auburn or Georgia on Saturday, depending on the outcomes of Friday’s matches. While all three teams will be tough competition, No. 1 seed Georgia seems to be South Carolina’s biggest challenger when it comes to possibly bringing home a conference championship. All four teams participating in the tournament are ranked in the top six of  the National Collegiate Equestrian Association’s rankings. 

With that said, South Carolina head coach Boo Major would enjoy a matchup between the Gamecocks and Bulldogs on Saturday.

“I’d like for our girls to go up against the best,” Major said. “I’d like to see how they measure up against Georgia again.”

Still, South Carolina will have to advance past Texas A&M in order to get a rematch against Georgia. South Carolina split the regular-season series against the Aggies, winning 12-8 on October 31, while losing 11-8 in College Station on February 21.

The Gamecocks’ first conference loss of the year also came against Georgia. 

As the Gamecocks head into postseason play, the team's optimism is going around.

“I feel very confident in our team. We’ve been practicing extra, riding every day and we’re in top shape right now,” redshirt senior Amber Henter said. Henter has good reason to personally feel confident, as she holds a 15-1-4 record in the events she has competed in this season. 

Yet, Henter admitted that the competition level should be tough and feels that the team is “still continuing to grow.”

There are certainly major roadblocks in the way of South Carolina having a successful weekend.

Texas A&M is operating with a home field advantage. Furthermore, all teams must select from a new set of horses, as opposed to riding with the horses they trained with. While teams attempt to anticipate the conditions of the competition, much of it comes down to being able to adapt quickly.

“Really, what you’re relying on is the girls’ ability to just be able to figure the horse out in a very short period of time,” Major said. Luckily for South Carolina, the Gamecocks have been good at that this season, Major said.

The Gamecocks appear to be in a favorable position, yet there are still flaws they must iron out if they are to succeed. Mistakes made by riders regular-season led to unnecessary disqualifications at times, and, at least for Henter, “overthinking” can lead to unfavorable outcomes. These mistakes must be kept to a minimum if South Carolina is to fare well against the top-level competition its facing.

With extra practice in the recent weeks and a much needed rest over spring break, Major feels optimistic about the team’s chances. 

“They’re ready to go,” Major said.

South Carolina practiced up until the last minute, before leaving for Texas on Wednesday at noon. Upon touching down, the Gamecocks will have to prepare themselves for what is sure to be an incredibly close competition.

They'll be bringing a lot of experience. Of South Carolina’s 40-person roster, 17 are either juniors or seniors.

South Carolina’s first challenge will be beating the Aggies, a team that has yet to lose at home. If the Gamecocks can keep their wits about them and continue their success from earlier this season, their chances of winning a third SEC Championship title seem promising.