Gamecocks in the pros: Baseball season is underway

April brings one of the most glorious times of the year: the beginning of Major League Baseball season.

The 2015 season got into full swing last week, which brings high expectations and anticipation. Fans enter the new season with dreams that this will be the year their team wins a championship.

Here we look at former Gamecocks chasing their own dreams in the majors and project how they will do this season.  

Sam Dyson — RP, Miami Marlins

In 2014, Dyson posted a 3-1 record with a 2.14 ERA. So far this year, he has a 4.50 ERA, giving up six hits but throwing five strikeouts in six innings pitched.

The Marlins are a team who as a whole have struggled recently, but have a few standouts that could lead to success this year. They have the individual talent this year to do very well in a tough division and may see games in October.

Dyson was part of the 2010 College World Series Championship team. If Dyson can focus on producing more strikes, he could be a major asset to the Marlins’ bullpen.

Steve Pearce — OF, Baltimore Orioles

Pearce contributed to the Orioles’ successful 2014 season, which led them to their ninth American League division title.

Last season, he had a .293 batting average, including 99 hits and 21 home runs. Pearce has had a decent start to the 2015 season, hitting .185 in 27 at bats. He has cooled down a bit since hitting home runs in the first two games of the season.

The Orioles are part of what many consider the hardest division in baseball: the AL East. The division shows strong individual and team talent, which always make the playoff race fun to watch.

Pearce is someone who should have a strong year, both offensively and defensively, and will be a key component if the Orioles make another playoff run.

Steve Tolleson — 2B, Toronto Blue Jays

Last season the Blue Jays had a disappointing year. They were picked to win the division, but due to injuries, they ended up in third. Tolleson, though, helped offensively and defensively where he could. Batting .253 with 43 hits, he proved he could be a strength in the Toronto lineup.

This season, Tolleson hopes to contribute as a key utility player. As a backup, he is 1-4 with a double.

The Blue Jays, being in the same division as the Orioles, will face some very tough competition as well moving forward. Tolleson can be a strong backup second basemen this season if he continues to hit well.

Justin Smoak — 1B, Toronto Blue Jays

Smoak's last season was a little disappointing, hitting .202 with 50 hits and 30 RBIs for the Seattle Mariners.

This season, he and Edwin Encarnacion will battle for the first base position. In recent games, Encarnacion has played designated hitter spot, which gives Smoak the chance to prove himself at first. He's had a few hits so far this season, but if he stays at first, Smoak could have a breakout year.

The Blue Jays are very talented, and if players like Tolleson and Smoak play to their full potential, Toronto has a good chance to make the playoffs.