In Brief: 9/15/15

Mississippi professor is main suspect in shooting of colleague

The New York Daily News reported Monday that social education professor Dr. Shannon Lamb of Delta State University is the main suspect in the murder of fellow professor Ethan Schmidt. Lamb, 45, called local police to report the murder at 10:20 a.m before the campus of Delta State was put on lockdown. The shooting on the Cleveland, Mississippi campus is reportedly tied to the Gautier, Mississippi murder of 41-year-old Amy Prentiss. Police believe Lamb shot and killed Prentiss inside a home the couple lived in together. The two murders could stem from a love triangle involving Lamb and the two victims.

Man stabs brother after female friend mocks his height

According to WIS, Richland County Sheriff’s deputies arrested and charged 33-year-old Joseph Austin with attempted murder after stabbing his brother. Investigators say that on Sunday night, a female friend made a derogatory remark about Austin’s height. After the woman left, the two brothers began arguing, and it turned physical. The deputies found Austin’s brother lying on the ground with stab wounds upon arriving at the scene. Austin was booked at Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center early Monday morning; his brother was taken to Palmetto Health Richland and is still in serious but stable condition.

Judge denies former North Charleston police officer bond

WLTX reported Monday that Charleston Judge Clifton Newman denied bond to Michael Slager, the former police officer who shot and killed an unarmed man in North Charleston on April 4. Slager, who is charged with the murder of 50-year-old Walter Scott, has been waiting on a decision on bail and when his trial will be. Newman listened to arguments from both sides in the case as to whether Slager should be released before his trial last week. Slager told the judge that he was not a threat to the local community and he wanted to spend time with his newborn son.