McCaskill and Groff continue incredible play in 6-0 victory

South Carolina’s women’s soccer team was back in action Monday, following a 3-1 win over rival Georgia on Friday.

Continuing the trend of matchups with teams from the Peach State, the Gamecocks hosted 3-4-1 Kennesaw State.

The Gamecocks jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first 10 minutes and never looked back, claiming the 6-0 victory to move to 7-1-0 on the year.

Hot Start

Two goals by sophomore Savannah McCaskill and another from junior Sophie Groff put the Gamecocks ahead 3-0 in the 9th minute. The Gamecocks were content to control possession for much of the rest of the half, taking the lead into halftime.

McCaskill and Groff only played 40 minutes apiece, allowing the Gamecocks to play a total of 27 players in the match.

It was the second time in the last three games that the Gamecocks scored at least two goals in the first six minutes of the game. The Gamecocks also jumped out to a 2-0 lead against UNC Charlotte with goals in the third and sixth minutes.

Offensive Leaders

The Gamecocks continued to rely on McCaskill and Groff in Monday’s game. The two have combined for 12 goals in eight games, thanks to a brace from each on Monday.

The two have also supplied a total of five assists, combining for 29 points in just eight games.

If the dynamic duo can keep up this pace, the two are on pace to each break the old school records for points and goals.

Goalkeepers Continue to Split Time

Senior Caroline Kelly and sophomore Abbey Crider continued to split time in goal Monday. Kelly started and played the entirety of the first half before being replaced by Crider after the break. Crider finished the game and recorded the only save of the game for South Carolina.

Each goalkeeper has played in six of eight games. Crider has stopped five of nine shots on goal while Kelly has stopped six of 10. The two will likely continue to share time as the season progresses unless one begins to break out.

Quote of the Night

"As a team we came out and played very well. We scored early and kept the pressure up as the match went on. We were able to bring in some different combinations of players and that was big for us." — Head coach Shelley Smith

Stat of the Night

McCaskill now has seven goals and 17 points on the year, more than last year’s team leader. In 25 games last season, Groff led the team with six goals and tied with McCaskill for the team lead with 15 points. Through eight games Groff has 12 points and five goals.