Men's soccer powers past undefeated Elon

South Carolina’s men’s soccer team broke a three-match winless streak last Friday with a 1-0 win over conference foe UAB.

Tuesday, the Gamecocks returned home to host an undefeated Elon team ranked eighth in the nation. The Phoenixes came into the matchup as the third-highest scoring offense in the country, but the combination of solid defense and good goalkeeping by sophomore William Pyle limited Elon to one goal on 20 shots.

South Carolina pulled away late to shock the Phoenixes and pull off the upset, 3-1.

The Gamecocks were limited to just eight shots, but made them count, putting six on goal and converting three.

Senior forward Kevin Walker opened the scoring with a 31st-minute strike from just inside the box to put the Gamecocks up 1-0.

The Gamecocks played bend but not break defense for much of the game before finally conceding the equalizer in the 50th minute.

With the score 1-1 and the nation’s third-best offensive team pressing for more, things looked bleak for the Gamecocks until an Elon foul gave South Carolina a free kick from the top right side of the box in the 71st minute.

Junior Danny Deakin sent a left-footed strike around a wall of defenders and into the back of the net for second goal via free kick.

While Elon continued to press forward, the Gamecocks were able to clear the ball in the 88th minute. Deakin was on the receiving end of the clearance and set himself up for his second goal of the game and fifth of the season. Deakin was also credited with an assist, his second of the season.

Man of the Match

While plenty of Gamecocks deserve the distinction, Danny Deakin earns the honor again. Deakin put all four of his shots on goal and stretched the field in a way the Phoenixes could not handle. Both goals were difficult and perfectly executed.

The Mercyhurst transfer has been a huge boost to the Gamecock offense this season.

Up Next

The Gamecocks will host No. 7 New Mexico on Friday at 7 p.m.