Practice Update: Moore recognized as depth chart changes, Waldrop out for year, new defensive starters

Moore recognized by SEC

Junior linebacker Skai Moore was named SEC Defensive Player of the Week, Gamecock football announced Monday. Moore led the Gamecocks with 10 tackles against North Carolina and added two end zone interceptions. The first of the two picks came on a third and goal situation on the Tar Heels’ first drive. The second sealed the game for the Gamecocks at the 3:48 mark of the fourth quarter. Moore now has nine career interceptions. He is also seeking to become the first Gamecock since Tony Watkins to lead the team in tackles three years in a row. 

Waldrop out for year

Backup offensive lineman Cody Waldrop is out for the season with a broken ankle, head coach Steve Spurrier announced Sunday. Waldrop competed for all three interior positions on the offensive line, but did not start against North Carolina. The redshirt junior was hurt when a teammate fell on his ankle during a drill during Sunday’s practice. He played just four games last season due to a knee injury for which he had offseason surgery this spring. True freshman Zack Bailey is listed as the backup center behind redshirt sophomore Alan Knott for this weekend’s game against Kentucky.

New Defensive Starters

South Carolina released its depth chart for Kentucky Monday evening. The Gamecocks will go with their same offensive lineup, but have two switch-ups on defense. Defensive tackle Taylor Stallworth will start in place of fellow sophomore Dante Sawyer. As defensive line coach Deke Adams likes to rotate his pass rushers, the change should be minimal. Sophomore Chris Lammons is penciled in as the starting right cornerback over redshirt junior Chaz Elder. Lammons was expected to start the opener, but instead backed up Elder against the Tar Heels.