Gamecocks fall to strong LSU team, Fournette

South Carolina’s third home game of the season was played in what kicker Elliott Fry would call “the real Death Valley” as the Gamecocks headed to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, for a matchup with Heisman frontrunner Leonard Fournette and undefeated No. 7 Louisiana State University (5-0, 3-0).

Historic flooding in and around the Columbia area caused the game to move to Louisiana, but the Gamecocks (2-4, 0-4) were treated as the home team.

Fans still experienced the Carolina fight song and “2001: A Space Odyssey” by the Tiger Band and head coach Steve Spurrier’s intro video on the big board.

However, the team's play wasn't different from the rest of this season, and after giving up 28 second-half points, the Gamecocks lost 45-24.

Fournetted

Heisman frontrunner Leonard Fournette came into Saturday’s game riding three straight 200-yard contests.

It was clear that South Carolina schemed for Fournette. The Gamecocks traded out a safety for a third linebacker and stacked the box with eight and even nine players. The strategy worked in the first half, as Fournette was held to under 70 yards in the first half.

But it took only two plays for Fournette to double his total, plus some.

On 2nd and 7 from his own 13, Fournette broke through the line for an 87-yard touchdown, the longest play allowed by the Gamecocks this season.

Despite being just the second team this season to hold Fournette under 200 yards, the Gamecocks allowed 396 yards and four touchdowns on the ground.

Orth Nah

Gamecock starting quarterback Perry Orth struggled at times on Saturday, completing just 50 percent of his passes for 200 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

Orth  didn't receive much help from either his play callers or his running game. Sixty percent of the Gamecock play calls were passes as tailbacks Shon Carson and David Williams combined for just 53 yards on 13 rushes.

Wide receiver Pharoh Cooper caught seven passes for 105 yards and a touchdown while all other wideouts combined for 53 yards on six receptions.

Freshman quarterback Lorenzo Nunez traveled with the team, but did not dress for the game due to a sprained shoulder. Spurrier said after the game that Orth would likely start next week.

Game of Firsts

Freshman Rashad Fenton got his first career touch and promptly ran 96 yards for South Carolina’s first kick return touchdown in 13 years. The surprising play shifted first-half momentum in South Carolina’s favor and cut the deficit to 14-10. Because of the return, LSU began kicking away from South Carolina’s newly discovered return man.

Midway through the third quarter, highly touted transfer Marquavius Lewis recorded his first sack as a Gamecock when he took down LSU quarterback Brandon Harris for an eight yard loss. The junior had massive expectations coming into the season, and while he’s played well, the sack totals have not been there for the 6-foot-3, 264-pounder.

Lewis led the team with nine tackles on the day.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Michael Scarnecchia saw his first collegiate action late in the fourth quarter. Scarnecchia is the fourth quarterback to take a snap this season and went 1-1 with nine yards on his only dropback.

Second Half Letdown

The Gamecocks went into the break down 17-10 and were down 38-17 with 1:55 seconds left in the third quarter. Orth orchestrated a three play, 61 yard drive capped by a 43 yard touchdown pass to Cooper.

WIth 39 seconds left in the third and down 14, Spurrier called for an onside kick. Kickoff specialist Landon Ard perfectly executed a short kick and recovered it himself, but an offsides call forced a rekick and killed all Gamecock momentum. South Carolina never scored again and ended up losing by 21, despite a relatively strong showing from the struggling team.

Up Next

South Carolina will host Vanderbilt next Saturday, searching for their first SEC win of the season. At this point, the game will likely be held in Williams-Brice Stadium, but there has been no official announcement yet.