EclubSC helps start-ups, students

<p>Courtesy of EclubSC</p>
Courtesy of EclubSC

How does one go about developing a business or enterprise idea in today’s world? What steps does one need to take in order to get started in the entrepreneurial world? The University of South Carolina Entrepreneurship Club, or EClubSC, is one of the places where students can find answers to these questions.

Club president and fourth-year management and marketing student Tony Klor says the club, in conjunction with the USC/Columbia Technology Incubator and the Faber Entrepreneurship Center, is trying to promote local start-up companies in the Columbia area and help students promote their own ideas.

“We’re so open to new ideas and doing new things,” Klor said. “I feel like in the past the club hasn’t really taken advantage of all the opportunities we have. There are so many entities in our start-up ecosystem that are doing such spectacular things so it’s great we’re working so hands-on with them ... and really we’re just trying to improve the Columbia start-up community.”

According to Klor, the club helps do marketing and promotion for events such as The Proving Ground (USC’s annual entrepreneurial competition), EngenuitySC’s Ignite! video competition and other events during Nov. 16 to 22 Global Entrepreneurship Week in Columbia. In addition to promoting these events, Klor also says the club helps local start-ups, such as Push for Pizza and Tradeversity, table their ideas and develop and optimize their social media presence.

Fourth-year management and marketing student Vincent Felix is a member of the organization who has developed his own start-up, which he operates on campus. Felix’s Mr. Penguin Designs partners with local student artists to create one-of-a-kind protective cell-phone covers. Felix makes the cases in his apartment and sells them through his website (http://mrpenguindesigns.com/) or through retail partners in the state.

“Our mission is to help these students not only gain exposure for their work but also provide them with residual income throughout college,” Felix said.

Had it not been for the Entrepreneurship Club, Felix stressed, he would not have had the chance to do the things he wanted.

“The EClub has played a pivotal part in my success,” Felix said. “The ability to meet like-minded individuals both on campus and in the community has opened many doors that I wouldn’t have had access to otherwise. Tony has led the effort to link our organization with the start-up community here in Columbia, and by doing so, has opened my eyes to all of the opportunities Columbia has to offer.”

Klor mentioned that the club is always open to new members and stressed that it is definitely not exclusive to business or entrepreneurial students.

“I’d say we’re around 25 to 30 members,” Klor said. “We’re looking to get more members … collaboration is huge because we really want to bring as many inter-disciplines together as we can. The best teams that are start-ups are [for example] one coder, one business guy, one design guy, etc. Different perspectives just helps things grow and just brings new light to the conversation.”

Even recent additions to the club, such as second-year hospitality management student Jesse Horine, are seeing the effects of the club and stressed the importance of taking advantage of chances and getting ideas out in the open for development.

“Thus far, the club has allowed me to meet dedicated students … I’m still new to the club so I’m excited to start planning our future events and goals,” Horine said of the opportunities the club has allowed him.

“People talk themselves out of fantastic opportunities,” Horine said. “My advice would be to get involved — whether it’s pushing forth an idea, joining the EClub or figuring out your next steps — and good things will happen. Doors will be opened."