Deckle Edge Literary Festival continues what SC Book Festival left off

Deckle Edge Literary Festival caters to all with readings, signings, panels and workshops from various authors, bringing a unique experience to Columbia. 

From Friday through Sunday, the Deckle Edge Literary Festival will take place all around downtown Columbia. The opening party will be held Friday at 7 p.m. at the Columbia Museum of Art. Entrance to this event is 10 dollars and will include performances by Stefanie Santana, She Returns from War and a Banned Books Burlesque show. There will be readings, signings, panels and workshops up and down Main Street on Saturday and Sunday.

“There should literally be something for everyone,” Annie Boiter-Jolley, the co-chairperson of the event, said. “Everyone should be able to find at least one reading or panel that they can get excited about.”  

Organizers began planning Deckle Edge in early September when the Humanities Council stated it would no longer host its annual literary event, the SC Book Festival.

“A group of us got together and decided that we couldn’t let Columbia go a year without a festival,” Boiter-Jolley said. 

Organizers want to expose South Carolina writers while still striking a balance with writers from other parts of the world. This allows attendees the opportunity to hear from and meet writers they otherwise would not have a chance to, but to also highlight the talent present within the state.  

“We really want it to be Columbia’s festival,” Boiter-Jolley said. “Columbia’s a major player in this festival, and I think that’ll set us apart ... from what other festivals have done in the past here.” 

Many of the events in the festival are being held along the 1500-1600 section of Main Street and will show off historical places and landmarks around the city. 

For students, Deckle Edge will provide a multitude of opportunities to workshop a variety of different writing styles and a diverse and substantial amount of literary works from authors of all genres.

Deckle Edge seeks to continue bringing Columbia a literary festival for years to come. This weekend organizers plan to provide an optimal experience for those in attendance while also noting improvements that can be made for the future. 

The Deckle Edge Literary Festival will be a weekend of fun, literary-focused events for everyone in Columbia to enjoy.