Destino, Jones help Gamecocks power by Penn State

South Carolina clinched a series win over Penn State with a 16-5 victory. The Gamecocks maintained the high level of offensive production that they have displayed over the first six games of the season.

In a year where the Gamecocks entered the season with a lot of inexperience in their lineup, no one had greater expectations than first baseman Alex Destino. Destino had the pressure of filling the void left by Kyle Martin, both at first base and in the heart of the lineup. Through the first six games it seemed like he might have been feeling that pressure — that he might be pressing at the plate. He entered Saturday without any extra-base hits, and even when he was making solid contact his hits were finding the leather of fielder’s gloves. 

Destino busted out of his slow start in a big way. In his first at-bat he worked a deep count before Penn State's Sal Biasi left one in the zone. Destino capitalized on Biasi's mistake and launched a three-run home run down the right-field line.

Destino’s first home run turned out to be just an appetizer for what was to come later. He came to the plate with runners in scoring position again in the third, this time with the bases loaded. With two strikes on him, he managed to pull yet another home run down the right-field line. The four-run blast marked the second grand slam of his collegiate career.  He also picked up a double in the sixth inning.

Coach Holbrook has been confident in Destino's abilities, even when he was struggling earlier in the year. Holbrook explained that, "I just want Alex to play up to his capability. I think he is one of the best hitters in the country. I don't care if he is hitting .220 or .420, I am going to think when he is in the batter's box he is going to do some damage."

Freshman Braden Webb made his second start of the season, working five innings while giving up two runs, neither of which were earned runs. He allowed two walks and three hits while also striking out five batters.

Webb flashed excellent off-speed pitches, with the vertical bite on his sharp breaking ball inducing several off-balance swings from Penn State's hitters. Much like in his first outing, his fastball command was inconsistent at times, but he was effective when he worked down in the zone.

Not to be outdone by Destino, catcher John Jones connected for the second grand slam of the game in the sixth inning. Penn State had been trying to avoid Jones; walking him in his first four plate appearances. Jones has been on a torrid streak of late, and through the first two games of the series he has reached base in all ten trips to the plate while knocking in 8 RBIs.

Beyond the heroics of Destino and Jones, the Gamecocks performed up and down the lineup, with six different players having multi-hit games.

South Carolina will try to complete the series sweep and stay unbeaten on the year at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday. Junior Taylor Widener will be on the hill for South Carolina.