'Spotlight' journalist to discuss film's implications

<p>Journalist Walter "Robby" Robinson and actor Mark Ruffalo at the "Spotlight" premier in October 2015.</p>
Journalist Walter "Robby" Robinson and actor Mark Ruffalo at the "Spotlight" premier in October 2015.

Journalist Walter "Robby" Robinson will discuss the importance of investigative journalism and the effect of the movie "Spotlight" at the annual Buchheit Family Lecture. The presentation is called "Investigative Reporting: How Hollywood Came to Celebrate What Newsrooms Believe is No Longer Worth the Cost" and will be hosted in the auditorium of the School of Journalism and Mass Communications on Wednesday at 7 p.m.

The lecture will take a look at the important role "Spotlight" plays in the future of investigative journalism. The film tells the story of the investigation and coverage of the Catholic Church sexual abuse scandal that happened in Boston. Winning over 100 awards, "Spotlight" has gained much critical acclaim since its release in November 2015. It has become a beacon for the need to return to this type of investigative journalism.

Robinson played a key role in the investigation done by The Boston Globe. Leading the "Spotlight" team in the investigation and coverage of the scandal, Robinson personally accepted the Pulitzer Prize in 2003 for the public service their investigative journalism provided. Robinson has worked for the Globe as a reporter and an editor for 44 years and is now an Editor At Large.

The Buchheit Family Lecture Series is sponsored by the Buchheit Family Endowment, which provides scholarships and fellowships to students of the School of Journalism and Mass Communications. Beginning in 2000, the series was created to honor the late Phil Buchheit, former publisher of the Spartanburg Herald-Journal and president and chairman of the Mid-South Management Co.