Bag restrictions in effect for sporting events

Say goodbye to your beloved backpacks and purses. Well, don't throw them away completely, but starting Aug. 18 when the South Carolina men's soccer team opens preseason play at Stone Stadium, students will no longer be able to bring large bags into sporting events. 

Over the summer, the athletics program implemented a policy detailing which bags are and are not acceptable for students and fans to bring into sporting events. The result? No backpacks, purses, drawstring bags, fanny packs or even camera bags.

The changes were made in the spirit of safety, following the precedent set by most NFL teams and many colleges around the nation. The rules will be in place for entering venues for South Carolina baseball, basketball, football, soccer, softball and volleyball. 

Spectators will be able to bring in small clutches, provided they are no larger than 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches. Clear bags are also permitted, but are limited to 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches in size. The official release put out by the university says gallon plastic bags are allowed, and clear bags can have a logo on them, if it is no larger than 4.5 inches by 3.4 inches and only on one side of the bag.

The new limitations will likely require spectators to find another way to bring certain items into sporting events, and many will have to turn to the bags that are being designed specifically for sporting events due to the new rules. This policy could also make it difficult for students to head directly to sporting events after getting out of class, as they will not be allowed to bring in backpacks and purses. 

South Carolina is the fourth SEC school to implement such a policy, and the athletics department hopes it will enhance the overall fan experience for all spectators.