Top 5 newcomers for 2016

Starting tonight, South Carolina begins a new era as a program under new head coach Will Muschamp. Not only will the Gamecocks introduce a new head coach, but they’ll also introduce a new cast of characters on both sides of the ball.

While it may take some getting used to for fans, change should be a good thing in Columbia this fall. The average observer could assume this after the Gamecocks’ 2015 debacle, which featured a 3-9 record and a last-place finish in the SEC.

The shift from the Spurrier era to the Muschamp era will be highlighted with a youth revival. In 2016, the Gamecocks' roster will be dominated by freshmen. Thirty-seven true freshmen arrived on campus in 2016, and 54 freshmen are eligible if you count redshirted players.This total accounts for about 46 percent of the team, which should be considered a startling figure for an SEC school.

Regardless, Gamecock Country shouldn’t panic. For one thing, Columbia has the lowest expectations since 2000 — a year after the Gamecocks finished 0-11. Secondly, the incoming talent should provide excitement for the future.

With the upcoming Vanderbilt game, The Daily Gamecock introduces five players that fans should keep their eye on come kickoff. Most likely, these five players will be seeing the field a lot this season.

Bryan Edwards, wide receiver
6-foot-3, 210 pounds
The four-star Edwards picked Carolina over Clemson this winter and it should be paying off for a long time. Since arrival to Columbia, Edwards has been tearing up the competition. The lanky wideout has made some impressive grabs at fall camp and is drawing rave reviews from teammates, coaches and fans alike. Even better, he’s listed at the top of the depth chart at the wide receiver position.

Brandon Mcllwain, quarterback
6-foot, 205 pounds
The highly touted quarterback might or might not start against Vanderbilt, but he is expected to at least split playing time with senior Perry Orth. Not only is the two-sport star athletic, but he also has the intangibles that could make him a good offensive leader. While Orth might have more experience, Mcllwain’s agility could make him the man for the job. Regardless, he should see a lot of playing time in the future.

Korey Banks, wide receiver
5-foot-11, 180 pounds
Banks hasn’t reached the top of the mountain on the depth chart yet, but the three-star receiver of Tyrone, Georgia, has the potential to see the field in 2016. Other than Edwards, Banks has arguably showcased the most skills out of any incoming wideout during spring and fall practice. While he is a good route-runner, his speed is unmatched, with his fastest recorded 40-yard dash in high school a 4.51. He’s currently listed behind Jamari Smith on the second wideout position on the depth chart.

Keir Thomas, defensive lineman
6-foot-2, 265 pounds
The Miami-based prospect came into Columbia listed as the 26th-rated defensive lineman in the nation according to 247Sports, and he’s already making serious moves on the depth chart. The fall depth chart currently lists him as a second-string defensive tackle, so his youth impact should be seen on the playing field.

Jamarcus King, defensive back
6-foot-2 180 pounds
King’s addition should help South Carolina bolster a secondary that is considered thin by many in both depth and talent. King hails from Coffeyville Community College in Kansas and was considered the top junior college cornerback in 2015, according to Rivals recruiting service. King is currently listed behind Chris Lammons at the corner position, but look for him to be thrown into action if the defensive backfield struggles as predicted.