Roof trial commences in Charleston court

Dylann Roof booking photo in Charleston after catching him on June 18, 2015 in Shelby, North Carolina. (Charleston County Sheriff/Zuma Press/TNS)

With the death penalty trial of Dylann Roof, the man accused of murdering nine parishioners of Charleston's Emanuel AME Church out of racial animosity, set to begin in a Lowcountry court, look back on the series of events leading up the trial.

June 17, 2015

Dylann Roof arrives at the Emanuel AME Church and sits in on a regular Bible study session. He then allegedly pulls out a gun and opens fire, killing nine parishioners. The dead range in age from 26-87 and includes state Sen. Clementa Pinckney. 

June 18, 2015

After escaping the shooting, Roof is caught about four hours away from Charleston in the town of Shelby, North Carolina. He has to be transported in a bulletproof vest and waives his rights to extradition and counsel. Law enforcement sources tell news outlets that Roof had a .45 caliber gun and confessed to the crime. 

July 10, 2015

As the theory that the shooting was racially motivated gains traction, decades-long calls to remove the Confederate flag from Statehouse grounds come to a head. Despite some criticism on the right, Republican Gov. Nikki Haley organizes a bipartisan coalition to bring down the flag. It is removed after 54 years, and Haley receives nationwide praise. Many Republicans who changed their mind on the issue credit the loss of Pinckney as a final straw.

Nov. 7, 2016

The Roof trial is scheduled to begin with jury selection. However, questions regarding his mental competency create a delay, and the trial date is pushed until a competency hearing can be held. 

Nov. 16-17, 2016

Another controversy arises as media outlets push for access to to Roof's competency hearing. A federal judge rules the hearings closed to the public, including media. More arguments are heard as former USC professor and press rights expert Jay Bender leads the charge on behalf of The Post and Courier and other news outlets. However, the judge still rules the competency hearings closed.

Nov. 25, 2016

Roof's competency hearings begin. The hearings last two days and no transcripts are released to the public. A federal judge rules Roof is mentally competent to stand trial.

Nov. 28, 2016

With Roof declared competent for trial, the trial will begin with jury selection. He faces a 33-count indictment, and the Justice Department is seeking the death penalty.