Head to Head: Jabrill Peppers should be Heisman favorite

Michigan's Jabrill Peppers (5) returns a punt during first-half action against Penn State at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich., on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016. Michigan won, 49-10. (Eric Seals/Detroit Free Press/TNS)

When the Heisman Trophy is brought up in conversation nowadays, it is often followed by the name of one player: Lamar Jackson. Analysts describe Jackson as an athlete, a playmaker and the frontrunner for the Heisman. However, when it comes to Jackson’s Heisman candidacy only one word comes to mind — one-sided.

While Jackson’s touchdowns may make him look like the most impressive Heisman candidate, another player’s versatility puts him at the top. That player is none other than Jabrill Peppers of the No. 3 Michigan Wolverines.

Peppers has taken the college football world by storm, proving his skill and athleticism in all aspects of the game. He serves a key role for the Wolverines’ defense, offense and special teams and is one of the main reasons they have been able to achieve so much success this season.

In a league dominated by dual-threats, Peppers has shown that he has it all. On defense, Peppers ranks second in the Big Ten in tackles for loss and can line up as a linebacker, defensive end or safety on any given play. His versatility makes him a huge threat to any opposing quarterback, and he is the leader of a Michigan defense that gives up a mere 10.7 points per game to opposing teams.

Peppers is not only a playmaker on defense but also shines on offense. Despite his main role as a defender, Peppers, at any given time, will line up as a running back, receiver or even quarterback. His contributions on special teams also deserve notice, as he ranks at the top of the Big Ten in punt return yards and punt return touchdowns. On both sides of the ball, Peppers has taken on a key role for the Wolverines and has led them to an undefeated record thus far.

Though he often goes overlooked in comparison to Lamar Jackson, Jabrill Peppers has been able to do everything Jackson does and more. Both are capable of making flashy, athletic plays on offense. Both are capable of leading their teams that were previously afterthoughts in the word of college sports. But Peppers has been able to outperform Jackson by being a more versatile and well-rounded player in every aspect of the game.

The Heisman Trophy is meant to be awarded to the most outstanding player in college football. Lamar Jackson may have achieved fame with his flashy touchdowns, but in terms of outstanding players, only one ranks above all else: Jabrill “The Thrill” Peppers.