Head to Head: What film should win Best Picture at the Oscars?

Attendees on Monday, Feb. 6, 2017 prepare for the class picture of all the nominees during the Academy Awards annual nominees luncheon for the 89th Oscars at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif. (Al Seib/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

"La La Land" - Jenna Schiferl

Damien Chazelle’s “La La Land” explores a classic storyline that is successfully revamped into a technically flawless and emotionally unparalleled film. It serves as a beautifully written love letter to the “Golden Age” of Hollywood cinema.

The “starving artist” trope is one commonly referenced in popular culture. Characters that would sacrifice everything to pursue their artistic passions are present  in numerous classics including “An American in Paris,” “Some Like It Hot” and “Moulin Rouge!” This archetype can easily become stale and overused; however, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone effortlessly give it new life with their performances in “La La Land.” They use their natural chemistry and wit to their advantage, and many serious scenes were lightened with quips and one-liners. This humor, combined with the nontraditional conclusion of the film, made it memorable and original.

Some criticized Stone and Gosling’s vocal capabilities. Throughout the movie they remained well within their respective ranges. This resulted in authentic performances that were much more relatable and genuine than a cast with Broadway-esque voices.

In addition, the film excelled in technical elements such as the score and cinematography. The fluid camera movements created a sense of intimacy that many other popular films lack. Cinematographer Linus Sandgren succeeded in producing one of the most aesthetically pleasing films in recent years. “La La Land” was shot using CinemaScope, an anamorphic, depth-correcting lens popularly used during the ‘50s and ‘60s for widescreen movies. Sandgren opted for this technique because he liked the look it gave the classic Hollywood films of the era.

“La La Land” seamlessly combines a musical, comedy, drama and romance film into one cohesive and nostalgic piece of art.

"Moonlight" - Alex Wyatt

“You’re the only man that's ever touched me. The only one. I haven’t really touched anyone since.”

Too often, films attempt to portray young, black men as a stereotyped caricature of toughness and masculinity without revealing any of the subtle emotion that underlies their exterior. Barry Jenkins’ "Moonlight" is the first film in years to expose the undercurrent of frustration that many of these men experience in reality, delving into the psychological torture of struggling with identity in a society that has narrow-minded expectations for its members.

"Moonlight" is, above all else, a character study. In three parts, we see the transformation of Chiron as he grows up in the ghettos of Miami. As the film progresses, we see Chiron’s metamorphosis from a bullied boy into a hardened criminal. It is through Barry Jenkins’ heartbreaking script, however, that we see the true magnitude of Chiron’s misfortune. Born into a rigid hierarchy of societal judgement, Chiron begins to realize the nature of his being that will trouble and confuse him the most: he’s gay.

In a lot of current society, homosexuality is openly accepted, but Jenkins recognizes the situational adversity that his protagonist must overcome as a black man in America. Jenkins beautifully portrays this internal struggle as Chiron evolves into the mold he believes society has set for him. The actors who portray Chiron, from childhood on, represent him with a nuanced emotion that exposes the haunting truth behind his eyes and creates a true depiction of what it truly means to struggle with one’s identity. In many ways a documentary and commentary on individuality in America, "Moonlight" is one of the best honest and revealing character portrayals in recent memory. Jenkins’ film is the most emotionally brutal yet perfectly beautiful film of the year, deserving of every article of praise and every notion of achievement that it is nominated for, including Best Picture.