Final Four Preview: Notice the director of Gamecocks' defense against Gonzaga

Under the floodlights of March, national attention has fallen on Przemek Karnowski, Gonzaga's 300-pound bearded bear, and Sindarius Thornwell, South Carolina's senior leader who is averaging 25.8 points per game in the NCAA Tournament. 

Both veterans have been paramount in leading their respective programs to their first Final Four appearance, but as the calendar turns to April, a spot in the championship could be decided by South Carolina's ability to guard Nigel Williams-Goss. Williams-Goss is the only finalist for the John R. Wooden Award that has survived to play in Phoenix. 

The catalyst of the Bulldogs' offense, Williams-Goss was named the WCC Player of the Year. The junior guard is a catch-and-shoot playmaker who can direct Gonzaga's offense even without the ball. He paced the Bulldogs in scoring, averaging 16.7 points per game.

Williams-Goss scored 23 points in Gonzaga's 83-59 dismantling of Xavier in the Elite Eight. Against West Virginia in the Sweet Sixteen, he looked far more human. 

Bob Huggins' trademark full-court press forced Williams-Goss to turn the ball over five times. He shot just 2-for-10 from the field. 

In many ways Frank Martin has incorporated elements of Huggins' defense into his own at South Carolina. Martin was Huggins' understudy during his time at Kansas State. 

The focal point of Martin's pressure frequently comes at half court, as opposed to West Virginia's full-court trap. That on-ball pressure is usually applied by senior guard Duane Notice.

"Just as your point guard initiates your offense, your on-ball defender initiates your defense," Martin said. 

"Duane is the core of the defense, little do you know," said freshman guard Rakym Felder. "He can go at it every day on the defensive side. He makes me better as a point guard when I have to deal with him all up in me at practice every day." 

"That's the hardest thing in basketball is guarding the basketball, guarding the guy with the ball," Martin said. "And he's just relentless at it."

A large part of South Carolina's preparation for Gonzaga has revolved around the matchup between Notice and Williams-Goss.  

"He's a point guard who is very good in the pick-and-roll," Notice said. "He makes good decisions and he runs the team like a quarterback. It's going to be our job – my job – to make sure he's uncomfortable."

Team comparison 

The Bulldogs superior length figures to give them an advantage at the post. Gonzaga has five players on its roster listed at 6-foot-10 or taller. Forward Jonathan Williams is a physical interior presence who is also capable of doing damage from behind the arc when left unchecked. 

Both teams have held opponents below 30 percent on 3-pointers this season. Gonzaga's 3-point defense ranks No. 4 in the country and South Carolina's slots in at No. 7. 

Postseason track record

Gonzaga has reached the tournament in 19 consecutive seasons and South Carolina has reached The Big Dance only one other time in that stretch. The Gamecocks last NCAA Tournament win prior to this season came in 1973. 

Tip-Off

Play is slated to start at 6:09 p.m. The victor will player the winner of the North Carolina and Oregon matchup in the championship game on Monday. Saturday's broadcast can be viewed on CBS.