‘Half-Life 3’ is a Nintendo Switch exclusive MMO

The Switch from Nintendo combines the mobility of a handheld with the power of a home gaming system to enable new video game play styles. It will be available in March 2017. (Handout/TNS)

In a move that no one saw coming, Gabe Newell, President of the Valve Corporation, announced a deal with Nintendo that will ensure that the infamous Half Life 3 will be a Switch Exclusive. The news was curiously announced on a Twitch livestream with hardly any warning.

Newell, in his patented round glasses, welcomes everyone to the livestream at 5 a.m. ET.

“I know it’s been a while since anyone has heard the name Black Mesa, but we at Valve have something special to present today,” Newell promptly started. “We are very excited to announce that Half-Life 3 is indeed real and that, as part of our deal with Nintendo, it will be a Nintendo Switch exclusive.”

This is monumental news, but Newell didn’t stop there.

“I’m also proud to tell all of you that each and every one of you will be able to play together in the MMO world of Half-Life 3. Half-Life 3 is the epitome of what we have wanted to make, and I look forward to sharing more information before the game is available on February 29, 2018.”

The livestream only lasted for 10 minutes, and there was no concept art or title to see, but before leaving, Gabe Newell responded to a chat commenter who asked “why r u doin dis??”

“Look guys, I’m tired of keeping this secret,” Newell said. “This has been something I’ve wanted to say for a very long time, and we are excited about this direction. We believe this is the best possible decision for Valve and for gamers everywhere.”

This news comes less than a month after the launch of the Switch. It’s unclear why it took so long to reveal such a massive announcement, but hopefully Nintendo adequately prepared and will have enough consoles on shelves by the time Half-Life 3 hits on February 29, 2018.

#aprilfools