George R. R. Martin reveals 'The Winds of Winter' release date

American novelist George R.R Martin, author of Game of Thrones, poses for a portrait on June 22, 2015 in Stockholm, Sweden. (Ola Axman/IBL/Abaca Press/TNS)

The long wait for the sixth book of the “A Song of Ice and Fire” series is about to finally come to an end, according to a blog post by author George R.R. Martin. The novel, titled “The Winds of Winter,” will be released in three weeks on Tuesday, April 17 — nearly six years after the fifth book, “A Dance with Dragons.”

“'The Winds of Winter' is finished (or at least as much as it’s ever going to be),” Martin said in his post. “I would be lying if I said typing those words didn’t bring a tear to my eye.”

In addition to announcing the release date, Martin hinted at what readers can expect from the plot in the next book.

“There will be new players vying for power as well as familiar faces and even some who have been long forgotten,” Martin said. “This is the longest novel in the series but I also believe it’s the most satisfying.”

Martin cites the HBO adaption of his novels, "Game of Thrones," as one of the major reasons for why it took him so long to write the book. More specifically, he was pressured by HBO executives to go back and make the book "more violent and sexy."

"I was going to tone down the sex and violence this time around but evidently HBO is incapable of being associated with anything that doesn't include either a needless sex scene or a decapitation every five minutes," Martin said.

However, the blog post wasn’t all good news from the critically acclaimed author, as he also revealed that he won’t be writing the seventh and final novel of the series.

“With how grueling and stressful the process was for writing this novel, I simply can’t start this process over again,” Martin said.

While Martin won’t be writing the final book himself, the story will still move on. Martin revealed later in the post that he will be handing the reins over to J.K. Rowling, the author of the "Harry Potter" series.

“I’m sure Joanne will do a great job with the story,” he said. “I mean, we already think a lot alike. Harry Potter is basically just a young, whiny Jon Snow with a scar and a magic stick, Arya is Hermione if she were a murderer and Joffrey is Draco Malfoy but far more evil and interesting.”

Rowling made a statement on her own blog saying, “I’m so happy to have the opportunity to finish George’s exceptional and groundbreaking series. I’m about halfway through season six and whenever I get done I’ll be good to go!”

Rowling also mentioned the possibility of merging the “Harry Potter” and “A Song of Ice and Fire” stories when she writes the next book, saying that it’s “highly likely.”

“The Winds of Winter” is available for pre-order at AprilFools.com.