Chad Holbrook resigns after five years at the helm of Gamecock baseball

South Carolina head coach Chad Holbrook waves to fans following a 7-1 win against the College of Charleston at Carolina Stadium in Columbia, S.C., on Saturday, Feb. 14, 205. (Jeff Blake/The State/TNS)

After missing the postseason for the second time in three seasons, Chad Holbrook resigned from his position as the South Carolina head baseball coach Tuesday night. 

The announcement was made through a university press release, which stated that Holbrook had several meetings with athletics director Ray Tanner before coming to his decision. 

"I want to thank our fans, players, coaching staff and everyone that touched Carolina baseball," Holbrook said in a statement. "This will always be a special place for me and my family. Wearing that jersey, being a part of two national championships, and meeting so many great people are things I will always treasure. 

Holbrook came to USC in July 2008 as the associate head coach, and essentially the coach-in-waiting as Tanner continued to build the program into a powerhouse. After four years waiting in the wings, three of which ended in the College World Series finals, Holbrook took over ahead of the 2013 season after Tanner transitioned into his current role. 

In his five years as a head coach, Holbrook amassed a 200-106 record and led the Gamecocks to two Super Regional appearances, but never made it back to Omaha. 

“We thank Coach Holbrook for his dedication and commitment to the program and wish him the best in his future endeavors,” Tanner said in a statement. “He and his family were part of some great memories at South Carolina and we will miss them.”

Tanner will hold a press conference Wednesday afternoon to address the future of the program.