Sindarius Thornwell, PJ Dozier await Thursday's draft

After setting all sorts of program records during a magical Final Four run, Sindarius Thornwell and PJ Dozier have one last chance to etch their name into the Gamecocks' history books.

Both guards are looking to become the first USC player drafted since Renaldo Baulkman was selected in the first round back in 2006. While neither is expected to be a first-rounder, both are likely to hear their names called Thursday night thanks to their breakout seasons. 

Let's take a look at the strengths and weaknesses of each player, as well as some projections of their potential draft position.

Sindarius Thornwell

Strengths: Thornwell was clearly the most important player on the floor for the Gamecocks last season, as was evident when the team went 3-3 in non-conference play during his six-game suspension. His offensive productivity was eye-popping, but his most translatable skill is his defense, as a rookie guard certainly won't have a 29.5 percent usage rate, as Thornwell did last season.

Defensively, however, Thornwell was generally tasked with guarding the opponent's best scorer, as he did throughout the NCAA Tournament, shutting down elite offensive players such as Duke's Luke Kennard. The Lancaster native showed his versatility in guarding all five positions, and he should be able to guard two through four in the NBA.

Maturity also seems to be a strength for Thornwell, who told teams at the NBA Combine that he understands that he'll be making a transition from a star to a role player. Despite documented off-the-court issues (a May 2016 marijuana arrest and the mysterious six-game suspension), Thornwell had a scholarship named in his honor at South Carolina that will be given to a player who best represents his character and toughness. 

Weaknesses: Despite converting just a shade under 40 percent of his three-point attempts as a senior, Thornwell was a relatively average shooter at best during his first three seasons. Several scouts say his jumpshot release is a tad slow, which could cause problems when coupled with his shot's flat trajectory. His offensive game often relied on straight-line charges at the rim, which likely won't be as effective against bigger, stronger players in the NBA.

The biggest negative difference for Thornwell when compared to Dozier comes in athleticism and frame. Thornwell measured in at 6-foot-3.5 without shoes at the NBA Combine, though he does have a massive 6-foot-10 wingspan. With average athleticism and leaping ability, Thornwell doesn't fit the mold for what some teams are looking for in the modern NBA. Also, soon to turn 23, Thornwell is one of the oldest prospects in the draft, nearly four years older than some of the projected lottery picks. 

Projections:

Sports Illustrated: Undrafted

NBA.com: No. 49, Denver Nuggets

DraftExpress: No. 58, New York Knicks

CBS Sports: No. 48, Milwaukee Bucks

Bleacher Report: No. 27 Brooklyn Nets

PJ Dozier

Strengths: Physically, Dozier is exactly what NBA scouts are looking for. Measured just under 6-foot-7 with shoes at the NBA Combine, the 20-year-old has a 6-foot-11 wingspan and a 39-inch max vertical. His length and athleticism give him defensive versatility despite his narrow frame. His wingspan helped him snag a lot of loose balls, as he recorded 1.7 steals per game as a sophomore, while averaging just 29.1 minutes.

Offensively, Dozier is shifty in the open floor in transition, though he struggles more in halfcourt sets. His length makes him a threat around the rim, and his shot rarely gets blocked because of his high release. Dozier also uses his length well on the glass, averaging 4.9 rebounds per contest last season. 

Dozier has the ball-handling potential to work as a backup point guard in the NBA, but his size allows him to play on the wing, potentially even at small forward. His slashing and finishing ability coupled with his build make him a near lock to hear his name called Thursday.

Weaknesses:There's an obvious weakness in Dozier's game: shooting. The Columbia native hit 29.5 percent of his three-point attempts last season, leaving something to be desired, despite improving significantly from his freshman year. He winds up when shooting from the three-point line, leading to a slow, varying release. The struggles translate to the free throw line as well, where Dozier has been unreliable, converting less than 60 percent of the time. 

His other weaknesses on offense will likely keep him on the wing, as Dozier struggled to create offense in halfcourt sets at South Carolina, and his decision-making was suspect at times, giving him a 1.27 assist-to-turnover ratio as a sophomore, after racking up more turnovers than assists in his first season in Columbia. 

Projections:

Sports Illustrated: Undrafted

NBA.com: No. 53, Boston Celtics

DraftExpress: No. 50, Philadelphia 76ers

CBS Sports: No. 54, Phoenix Suns

Bleacher Report: Mid-second round pick