Carolina vs. Clemson feud sparks fundraising competition

What started as a classic example of rivals trying to one-up each other has sparked thousands of dollars worth of charitable donations.

It all started when Chris Cox, the USC alumnus that leads Charleston's My Carolina Alumni Association chapter, heard a rumor about Clemson fans trying to raise money to buy a billboard in Columbia.

"So Clemson fans are trying to raise money for a billboard in Columbia," he wrote on Twitter. "What say we Gamecocks match it and donate the money to Puerto Rico?"

Cox then set up a GoFundMe page for Gamecock faithful to make donations to Unidos por Puerto Rico, a charity working on hurricane relief for the hard-hit island. 

Within an hour, the page had $700 in donations. As of Sunday, the goal is up to $10,000. Over $9,000 has already been raised.

Gamecock fans, always eager to best their in-state rival, jumped at the chance to lend a helping hand, all the while mocking Clemson.

"It feels good to help people and spite Clemson simultaneously," one donor wrote on Twitter.

The fundraiser drew the attention of not only fans, but also coaches like men's basketball head coach Frank Martin. He tweeted in support of the drive, applauding South Carolina fans for "stepping up and helping others."

Not to be outdone, the Clemson fan behind the billboard idea quickly pledged to donate extra donations to Walhalla, a charity benefiting foster children in the Clemson area.