Former USC teammates both hit their first home run of the season Wednesday

The Boston Red Sox's Jackie Bradley Jr. follows through on a solo home run in the second inning against the Kansas City Royals in the second game of a doubleheader on Wednesday, May 18, 2016, at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, Mo. (John Sleezer/Kansas City Star/TNS)

This past Wednesday was a very notable night for former University of South Carolina baseball teammates Jackie Bradley Jr. and Whit Merrifield, as they each got to touch ‘em all after notching their first home runs of the 2018 season. 

After serving as the leadoff hitter on Sunday night in injured teammate Mookie Betts’ stead, Bradley Jr. reverted back to the seven-spot in the Red Sox lineup on Wednesday night. It didn’t take long for him to make a difference from its bottom third, however, as he launched a no-doubter off of Angels reliever Luke Bard in the third inning of the 9-0 victory. 

Occupying the two-hole of the Royals’ lineup against the Toronto Blue Jays, Kansas City Royals second baseman Whit Merrifield likewise to his collegiate national-champion teammate slugged his first shot of the year over the outfield wall in left-center field at the Rogers Centre. Merrifield, who has seen time in the Royals outfield as well as second base this season, currently is second on the team in at-bats, doubles, walks and runs scored. 

Former South Carolina pitcher Tyler Webb also saw action on Wednesday, as he made his second relief appearance of the season for the San Diego Padres after being recalled from their Triple-A affiliate on Tuesday. Webb hurled three scoreless innings against the Dodgers- issuing one walk, surrendering one hit and recording three strikeouts along the way. He became the eighth player from South Carolina to appear in a Major League game so far this season. 

Interestingly, each of the seven Carolina alums in the show aside from the Royals’ Whit Merrifield play for a team in one of two divisions. Justin Smoak and Steve Pearce of the Blue Jays, Jordan Montgomery of the Yankees and Jackie Bradley Jr. of the Boston Red Sox all play for an American League East ballclub while Sam Dyson of the Giants, Christian Walker of the Diamondbacks and Tyler Webb of the Padres each play for a National League West squad.