Review: 'A Quiet Place' heightens emotion, tension with unique horror

Emily Blunt and Millicent Simmonds in "A Quiet Place." (Paramount Pictures)

In our bustling, fast-paced world, there’s no harm in asking for a little peace and quiet. But in “A Quiet Place,” the silence is deafening. Imagine a world where everyday sounds such as the honking of a car, the opening of a drawer or even the tapping of a pen could end in gruesome death. Unfortunately for the Abbott family, this is their post-apocalyptic reality. 

In “A Quiet Place," Lee Abbott (John Krasinski), his wife Evelyn (Emily Blunt) and their three children (Millicent Simmonds, Noah Jupe and Cade Woodward) are some of the survivors left after an alien invasion. The film is set almost two years after the invasion, and the Abbott family lives on a desolate farm, seemingly accustomed to their secluded lifestyle. While the events leading up the invasion are unknown, quick glances at newspaper headlines imply that the alien invaders have caused a global holocaust. The film’s title gimmick plays on the creatures’ ultimate strength: their acute sense of hearing. With ears that are triggered by the softest sound, the mysterious race of aliens are quick and merciless predators. As a result, the Abbott family has been forced to adapt to their perilous circumstances. 

With the help of the resourceful Lee and the equally capable Evelyn, the Abbott family has slipped into a daily routine. They only walk barefoot, they’ve managed to engineer their own security system and they exclusively communicate in sign language, a lifestyle previously set in place for their deaf daughter, Regan. However, Evelyn’s sudden pregnancy poses a threat to the family’s safety and further clouds their unstable future. 

While Krasinski has become indistinguishable from Jim Halpert in "The Office" in our collective memory, his turn as hardened survivalist Lee showcases his range as an actor, director and even a writer. The casting of his real-life wife, Blunt, added honest and genuineness to their performances as the two parents determined to secure a future for their children. Although Krasinski is arguably pitched as the star of this film, Blunt shines as a loving mother who carries most of the film’s emotionally taxing scenes. Still, every member of the cast in instrumental to its success, as Regan and her brother Marcus’ arc is just as engaging as their parents’. While the film has the backdrop of a living nightmare, at its heart is a message about family and the lengths we would go to to protect them. 

Horror is a genre that prides itself in simplicity, and in just 90 minutes, “A Quiet Place” packs quite a punch. In the same vein of Ridley Scott’s "Alien," there is a slow burn in revealing the aliens’ full appearance, but once the action picks up, you’ll wish it would relent for the sake of your own heart rate. Although a good bit of the film is in subtitles, it doesn’t diminish from the film’s ability to pull you in. If anything, the exclusion of sound creates an intimate relationship with the audience as you begin to fear that crunching your popcorn too loudly could possibly lead to the Abbott family’s demise. You’re as aware of your surroundings as each member of the family is, and that leads to a terrifying experience.

“A Quiet Place” is a fresh, fast and fearsome ride that surpassed my expectations in every sense imaginable. Although the film is not without its flaws, potential plot holes are quickly forgotten once you begin to disappear into the Abbotts' world. Krasinski’s imaginative take on such a simple premise prevented “A Quiet Place” from blending in with the crowd.