Opinion: Studying abroad is not worth it

KRT OLYMPICS STORY SLUGGED: TRIATHLON KRT PHOTOGRAPH BY JOE LEDFORD/KANSAS CITY STAR (September 17) SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA-- Swimmers splash through the water of Farm Cove during the first portion of the Men's Triathlon as spectators watch from boats and buildings Sunday September 17, 2000 as the Sydney Opera House is the start and finish lines for the event.  Rescue personnel also followed the swimmers. (KC) PL KD BL 2000 (Horiz) (lde)
KRT OLYMPICS STORY SLUGGED: TRIATHLON KRT PHOTOGRAPH BY JOE LEDFORD/KANSAS CITY STAR (September 17) SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA-- Swimmers splash through the water of Farm Cove during the first portion of the Men's Triathlon as spectators watch from boats and buildings Sunday September 17, 2000 as the Sydney Opera House is the start and finish lines for the event. Rescue personnel also followed the swimmers. (KC) PL KD BL 2000 (Horiz) (lde)

If there was one thing that I wanted to do when I came to USC, it was study abroad. Throughout tours and orientations, I was sold on the opportunity to study abroad to “broaden my horizons” and learn a new culture. I wanted to take pictures in an impressive historical city that some may never visit. Until recently, study abroad was just that in my opinion, an opportunity to take fancy Instagram pictures and have lots to brag about when I came home to my friends and family. Study abroad was an opportunity to become more “worldly” after just one semester. I also listened to the countless university people tell me how essential it is to study abroad and travel in order to become a good journalist, businesswoman, accountant or any major really. I was overwhelmed by the university atmosphere selling me that the study abroad experience needed to be fit into my four years. 

Until recently, I learned that I would graduate in three years — thanks to a lot of dual credit — and the opportunity to study abroad would set me back academically. I took a step back from the hype of studying abroad and forced myself to get real. There are many reasons why study abroad is actually not the best way for students to travel or become more cultured. 

First off, studying abroad is expensive and doesn’t offer all the classes some may need to take for their major, therefore setting you back in school time. Telling students that studying abroad is the only way to get world experience is demeaning and creates a feeling a hopelessness for students who may not be able to afford studying in this country, not to mention another country. 

Also, the whole idea that one has to be completely immersed in a culture in order to understand and empathize with other cultures is the biggest lie rooted in an overindulgent American culture. Throughout history, wealthy Westerners have traveled to other countries to gawk at the differences between our country and others. Now, it appears that students mostly study abroad to show off. Does going to Australia really change you as a person? The answer is most likely no. However, it does give you more clout on Instagram. 

I am not saying that travel is bad thing by any means, but in a world so interconnected by social media, global news and books, anyone can connect with another land or culture and even understand another land or culture by staying in place. In this way, I think the hype surrounding studying abroad should be something that people take with a grain of salt.

Traveling is an amazing opportunity, but the amazing thing is, you can travel whenever you want. Life-changing experiences don’t have to occur in the four years of college. There is nothing wrong with saving up to travel when you can afford it. As much as people brag about the must-see attractions all over the world, going abroad really doesn’t change the impressiveness of a person. College is such a small chunk of our lives, so I find it depressing that they are considered the absolute best years of our lives. There is more fun to be had.