New players look to shine for Gamecock football in 2018

New talent has arrived in South Carolina for this season of Gamecock football, building an even stronger roster. With the loss of solid offensive and defensive players, the Gamecocks will rely on the 22 new freshmen players to step up.

Freshman Dakereon Joyner is a four-star dual threat quarterback for South Carolina. Joyner enrolled at South Carolina in January after graduating early from high school. This true freshman brings much to the table even though his position is already filled.

Head coach Will Muschamp and offensive coordinator Bryan McClendon are confident in Joyner being a quarterback. Muschamp believes that he has the full potential to be the starting quarterback for the Gamecocks during his collegiate career. 

“He has higher expectations in himself than anyone in the room,” Muschamp said. “He’s progressing extremely well ... I think Dakereon has a very bright future at the quarterback position here at South Carolina.”

Not only are eyes on Joyner, but also Dylan Wonnum, a four-star tackle for the Gamecocks. Wonnum is already familiar to the ropes of South Carolina as he joins his brother D.J. Wonnum, who led the Gamecocks in sacks last season.

Even with his brother as a future teammate, the choice to come to South Carolinawas ultimately Dylan Wonnum's decision. 

“I’m not going there for him,” Dylan Wonnum said. “I'm going there for me, to better me.”

Dylan Wonnum is South Carolina’s second-highest ranked signee ranked at No. 148 nationally. In addition, he is the No. 12 offensive tackle in the class of 2018.

“[Dylan is] very athletic, has great balance and body control, and is a guy that, from a protection standpoint, can set the edge and can play right or left tackle,” Muschamp said.

Defensively for South Carolina, tackle Rick Sandidge has already made a powerful impression. He hopes that the coaches can teach him more things about defensive tackle and defensive end.

Sandidge wants the South Carolina coaches to help develop his skill set in everything. With much optimism, this 6’5," 288 pound freshman should have no problem transitioning.

“He can obviously anchor, but he has wiggle enough to be able to slide out and play end in our regular package, very similar to what we’ve done with some guys before,” Muschamp said. “He’s an athletic big man that can run, that can push the pocket.”

Muschamp and his coaching staff have high expectations for these new players, but understand that they will take some time adjusting to the ways of South Carolina. 

“You know, these guys go through so much,” Muschamp said. “New coach, new system, new atmosphere, they have stuff going on at home, I mean they are going through a lot ...  I think sometimes it has zero to do with ability. So I am excited to see all of them play, and we will determine who is going to be helping our team.”