Farmer's market celebrates Pastides' 10th anniversary

Over 20 vendors and organizations lined Greene St. on Tuesday to promote a healthy lifestyle for students and celebrate Patricia Moore-Pastides and her 10 years as USC's first lady at the Healthy Carolina Farmers Market on Tuesday.

Moore-Pastides introduced the USC Pastides Health and Sustainability Pledge, which she described as a guide to a healthy lifestyle. She said her presence at the markets gives her a chance to interact with students.

“That gives me a chance to connect with students, where I don’t have that many opportunities,” she said. 

She said that she wants to see the Healthy Carolina Farmer's Market eventually evolve into a market similar to the Soda City Market. She promoted the value of buying from local farmers and vendors, helping South Carolina's economy.

“The food when it’s grown locally and hasn’t been transported across the country, usually has better flavor.” Moore-Pastides said. “I like the idea of knowing where my food comes from and I think more and more people these days feel the same way.” And she hopes Carolina Food Co. incorporates more locally grown ingredients, which she believes would help support local farmers. 

Charlotte Nazarian, a first-year political science and economics student, agreed and said she likes knowing where her food comes from and engaging with the farmer who grows it.

“I talk to the farmer who grew my plums and I like that. And it’s nice to know that it’s not just like huge farms," Nazarian said.

Kate Zervas, a second-year pre-pharmacy studen,t attended the event because she wanted to interact with Moore-Pastides to learn about healthy eating.

“So far, it seems like things can be healthy and cost-effective at the same time," Zervas said.

One of the featured vendors was Shaheed Harris, the owner of co-op businesses Aysa's Organic Farm and SCF Organic Farms, which offer herbal teas, herbal supplements, essential oils, vegetables and soaps. Harris said their main goal is to promote certified organic products and teach customers about farming and agriculture.

“The importance of it is to show kids that people can use farming as a way of living and it also it kind of like changes the mind state of how people view farming and view agriculture,” shensaid.

Student Government representatives were on hand, giving students the opportunity to write "thank you" cards for Moore-Pastides.

“We really want people to know how appreciated she is on campus," said Annie Guttman, the secretary of campus outreach for Student Government. “Being healthy is something small that we can do to improve our lives."

The special edition of the farmer's market was originally scheduled for September, but it was postponed by the effects of Hurricane Florence. Moore-Pastides' husband, university President Harris Pastides, will deliver his State of the University address on Wednesday.