Analysis: Gamecocks tie FAU 2-2 in overtime battle

<p>Carolina Gamecocks and Florida Atlantic Owls players battle for the ball. Both looked to pick up momentum for their team. The game ended in a tie.&nbsp;</p>
Carolina Gamecocks and Florida Atlantic Owls players battle for the ball. Both looked to pick up momentum for their team. The game ended in a tie. 

The Gamecock men’s soccer team tied FAU 2-2 Sunday night after a thrilling 110 minutes of play. 

The night was filled with nonstop offense. From breakaways to shots getting tipped over the crossbar, both teams brought an edge to their final third play. By the end of the match, the teams came to a combined total of 22 shots and 16 corner kicks.  

“I’m really pleased with that,” head coach Tony Annan said. “I think we matched them. At times, I think we were the better team on the pitch.”

Sophomore forward Peter Clement lead the offense with three shots and one goal. In addition, freshman forward Harrison Myring and junior forward Logan Frost gave the Owl defense problems all night. 

The first goal came in the 18th minute from FAU’s freshman forward Filip Jauk. He headed one away from his teammate out wide. Minutes later, Clement was awarded a free-kick just outside the 18-yard-box. He placed the ball in the upper right-hand corner to put the Gamecocks on the board and tie things up in the 24th minute. 

Going into halftime, Annan switched up tactics to set a higher press. This allowed for the team to get back into the game, create more goal-scoring chances and increase the intensity. 

After 90 minutes, the winner was still undecided. The teams went on to play two ten-minute golden goal periods. 

The main focus going into overtime was to “just keep going,” Annan said. “Keep disrupting their style of play.”

South Carolina was able to find a few last-minute chances late into overtime but ultimately could not convert. Despite coming out with a draw, Annan was content with the energy the team brought onto the pitch and the way they challenged a strong FAU side. There are many key takeaways that they look to build on. 

“Grit, determination, played some really good football at times,” Annan said. “That’s a step forward, that’s progress, and I’m pleased with that.” 

South Carolina is now 3-6-1 on the season. Looking ahead, the team will hit the road for its next matchup against UAB on Saturday at 8 p.m.

“Just trying to improve the identity, try to improve the way we play, try to improve how aggressive we are,” Annan said. “For me, that’s a big step forward today.”