Analysis: South Carolina women’s basketball team cruises past Alabama at home

<p>Freshman guard Saniya Rivers goes in for layup against Alabama on Thursday Feb. 3, 2022. South Carolina beat the Crimson Tide 83-51.&nbsp;</p>
Freshman guard Saniya Rivers goes in for layup against Alabama on Thursday Feb. 3, 2022. South Carolina beat the Crimson Tide 83-51. 

The South Carolina women’s basketball team defeated Alabama Thursday night 83-51 at Colonial Life Arena. 

The Gamecocks started off the game strong scoring 36 points in the first quarter, tying its record for the most points it has ever scored in a single quarter against an SEC opponent. The other such occurrence happened when South Carolina played Vanderbilt in Nashville on Jan. 12, 2020.

“We just know we have to trust each other and just play together as one,” senior forward Victoria Saxton said. “And just let the ball find the open person.”

Defense continues to be a strong point for the Gamecocks. In January, the team yielded just 49.9 points per game over eight games. It was no surprise that the Gamecocks maintained that average against the Tide, allowing 51 points. 

South Carolina’s rebounds and blocks also played a key part in their defensive success. It compiled 46 rebounds compared to Alabama’s 34. 

Junior forward Aliyah Boston was able to add to her consecutive double-double streak, making it 15 games in a row. She led the team with 20 points and 10 rebounds. 

Alongside Boston, junior guard Zia Cooke put up 14 points and got her team going right from the start. Head coach Dawn Staley said she was especially pleased with her shooting accuracy and steals. 

“I think (Cooke) is always somewhat of an indicator of us playing well,” Staley said. “When she gets off to a good start, it really, it just helps the rest of the team.”

Another takeaway from the matchup was the ability for the Gamecocks to get a good rotation of players on the court. South Carolina players coming off the bench were able to put up 32 points total compared to 10 points from Alabama's bench. 

“We want them to be in a position to just turn the page,” Staley said in regards to her bench players. “Although you don’t play a whole lot, you’re still experiencing the flow of a game.”

An impact substitute was sophomore center Kamilla Cardoso. She put up 8 points, nine rebounds and five blocks on the night. Cardoso coming off the bench gave the Gamecocks a lift and made an impact. 

“The way Kamilla played today was kinda what we envisioned,” Staley said. “She did well, she was all over the place.”

With South Carolina’s victory over Alabama and Tennessee falling to Florida, the Gamecocks now sit at the top spot in the SEC standings. 

“If you’re the top team in this league, you can win a national championship,” Staley said.

With the seven-day break in South Carolina’s schedule, Staley said the team plans to take advantage of this time to rest over the weekend and get back to work on Monday. 

Up next, the Gamecocks, 21-1(9-1 SEC), hit the road where they will take on Kentucky on Thursday, Feb. 10 at 7 p.m. The game will be available on ESPN.