Gamecock football's newest transfers discuss culture, adjustments to Columbia

<p>FILE— Players on the team group up during its game against Auburn.</p>
FILE— Players on the team group up during its game against Auburn.

South Carolina football made a splash this offseason with its additions from the transfer portal. On Wednesday, multiple transfers spoke to the media about their adjustments and their respective decisions to come play in Columbia.

Likely the most prominent transfer is former Oklahoma quarterback Spencer Rattler. Rattler said head coach Shane Beamer was a large reason behind his decision to come to South Carolina. 

"Going through the recruiting process and the transfer portal and all that stuff, Coach Beamer was a big indicator that South Carolina is doing something right," Rattler said. 

Rattler spoke highly of the culture the head coach has already instilled at South Carolina. The quarterback said the coaching staff's willingness to receive input from players was a large reason for why he decided to come to USC. 

Former North Carolina State junior edge rusher Terrell Dawkins echoed Rattler's praise for the culture their new coach has built.

"He's doing all the right things, he's talking about the right stuff, and I can feel that it's going towards the right direction," Dawkins said.

Dawkins also spoke highly of the chemistry he's already formed with his fellow defensive linemen.

"It's a room of great guys ... I just feel like everybody in that room will help me become a better player and the same vice versa," Dawkins said.

Devonni Reed, a graduate transfer from Central Michigan, was also complimentary of his new teammates at the defensive back position. 

"These guys are very genuine and they love the ball just the way I do, so it really made everything easier when coming in," Reed said. 

Rattler emphasized that Beamer's players-first mentality is something that a lot of other programs do not have instilled in their cultures.

As the newest members of Gamecock football settle in, some have already developed a first impression of Columbia.

Junior wide receiver Antwane Wells Jr. noted that the food options were the biggest upgrade from his time playing for FCS James Madison University. 

"Something that surprised me about Columbia is everything is like 10 minutes away," Rattler said. He went on to compliment the number of things to do around his new city. 

Similarly, Reed spoke highly of Columbia's climate after his move from Mount Pleasant, Michigan.

"There's a lot of cold weather and snow back home, so when I got here and seeing palm trees and 75 degrees plus weather, it took me by storm," Reed said.

The new faces and the rest of the Gamecocks will begin spring practice on March 15.