Preview: Gamecock football looks to continue improving in Beamer's 2nd year

Redshirt junior quarterback Spencer Rattler runs out of the tunnel at Williams-Brice Stadium during the Garnet & Black football game on April 16, 2022. The Garnet team defeated the Black team 20-13.

With a high-caliber quarterback set to take the reins in 2022 and other new additions, the South Carolina football team looks to build off its Duke's Mayo Bowl win and surpass its 7-6 record of last season. 

In a bounce-back year for South Carolina football under new head coach Shane Beamer, the program won more games in 2021 than it had the previous two seasons combined under former head coach Will Muschamp. 

Despite this improvement, the Gamecocks were still unable to beat top opponents such as Georgia and Clemson and had to pull off a late game-winning drive to defeat Vanderbilt.

Beamer said he plans to continue providing quality minutes while filling positional gaps by utilizing transfer students. 

"Last year when we brought in all these transfers. We didn't miss on any of them — they all played major, meaningful roles for us last season — and feel confident saying the same thing this year with this group," Beamer said after the Garnet & Black spring game. 

Oklahoma transfer and redshirt junior quarterback Spencer Rattler headline the offense and could bring stability to a team that started four different quarterbacks last season. 

“This is one of the best quarterback rooms I’ve ever been in,” Rattler said. “It’s great guys, real top-quality guys, supportive — we all support each other. All of us have unique qualities to our game, and I think we all can learn a little bit from each other.”

Rattler will be taking snaps from an offensive line that is returning all five starters. However, by allowing 31 sacks, the line was one of the worst pass-blocking groups in the SEC. 

Offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield said in March that about half of the sacks were the offensive line's fault. Even so, Satterfield said he trusts the offensive line to perform better next season.

"When we went back and reviewed the tape, there were 14 times the offensive line was responsible for the sack. The rest of them were just quarterbacks, running backs missing blitzers," Satterfield said. "But we have all of our line guys back. I think the energy level that they brought this off-season, and the commitment and leadership that you see in unit meetings and team meetings with (Derrick Moore), I think it's night and day." 

Graduate running back Christian Beal-Smith is lifted by redshirt senior offensive lineman Wyatt Campbell after making a touchdown for the Garnet team during the annual spring football game at Williams-Brice Stadium on April 16, 2022. The Garnet team defeated the Black team 20-13.

Highly-touted recruit and redshirt sophomore running back MarShawn Lloyd returns to the backfield and will be joined by Wake Forest graduate transfer Christian Beal-Smith. The two will look to replace 2020 SEC leading rusher Kevin Harris and hope to tally more than the six 100-yard rushing games the Gamecocks produced in 2021. 

The backfield’s pass-catching counterparts, fifth-year wideout Josh Vann and junior tight end Jaheim Bell, will rely heavily on stability at the quarterback position to reach their ceilings. Incoming junior transfer wide receivers Antwane Wells and Corey Rucker will also look to carve out roles for themselves, after combining for 2,066 yards and 26 touchdowns for their respective teams last season. 

On the other side of the ball, South Carolina had one of the better pass defenses in the SEC in 2021, totaling a conference-high 24 interceptions and fumble recoveries. This is due in part to the poor run defense the Gamecocks had, allowing more touchdowns, first downs and yards gained than against passing. 

Redshirt junior and fifth-year defensive backs Cam Smith and R.J. Roderick headline the South Carolina secondary while junior and senior defensive lineman Jordan Burch and Zacch Pickens lead the defensive line. Burch and other edge rushers will try to improve upon hurrying the opposing quarterback while Pickens and fellow lineman will attempt to apply pressure to the interiors of offensive lines.

"We're working our moves and having good communication together," Burch said following the spring game. "I feel we've been working on that pretty good. Zacch Pickens, Boogie, all my guys up front, you can talk to them. We can make calls for ourselves, cause the communication is so good right now."

Ranked at No. 25 in ESPN’s initial “Way-Too-Early” top 25 rankings, the Gamecocks look to become ranked for the first time since week two of the 2018 season. South Carolina's schedule includes an opening SEC weekend at Arkansas, followed by opponents like Georgia, Texas A&M and Clemson.