Column: Fresh Greene's is best, most well rounded dining hall on campus

Fresh Greene's, a organic style buffet located in the Russell House offers a fresh and healthier eating option to the college community. Offering deserts like soft banana pudding cups and freshly made pizza and sandwiches the wellness based eatery serves as a unique and everchanging dining option for the students of the university. Photos captured by Jalen Miller | The Daily Gamecock.

Taking a stroll on Greene Street can lead many places, but stopping at the unique and homey oasis of all dining halls is never a wrong step. Located right next to Russell House, Fresh Greene's, through its atmosphere and identity, is the most distinct and impactful dining hall for the busy life of a Gamecock. 

Being a student and balancing classes, work, a social life, healthy habits and many other things does not come easy. On top of limited food choices on campus, it can be a challenge to find options that aren't repetitive and boring. Fresh Greene's is the solution to these struggles: a refreshing and sustainable eatery.

“The meals they cook are always really diverse,” Caroline Speck, a first-year integrated information technology student, said.

Fresh Greene's has a unique menu with a wide assortment of options. There are many vegan, pescatarian and gluten-free meals to choose from, so there is always something for everyone.

“I am always going to find a way to make sure you have an option,” head chef Bear Evans ensures.

With a rotating daily menu, students are not limited to what they consume, and it brings the opportunity to try new foods. Many of those who frequently eat at Fresh Greene's also love the consistency of menu items.

“I like that there is always a constant salad bar,” Speck said. “But I like that the type of soup and the type of sandwiches differ every day.”

A healthy mix of consistency and variation creates a unique experience that keeps students coming back. A good environment and friendly staff make a huge impact on students and where they eat. 

The staff members of Fresh Greene's and the cozy social atmosphere makes it feel comfortable and safe. Students should feel welcomed and happy wherever they choose to eat, and Fresh Greene's sets the standard.

“(It's) just a friendly atmosphere, I’ve been here so many times the staff recognized me.” Liam Cibelli, a third-year psychology student living off campus said.

Sustainability, quality and freshness of food are vital to any place where people eat. Fresh Greene's partners with companies such as GrowFood Carolina, Aramark and Carolina Food Co. in order to acquire the resources needed to provide nutritious food.

Fresh Greene's uses locally obtained ingredients such as tomatoes, mushrooms, sweet corn and many other greens. These locally sourced foods and products make the dining hall diverse and give it its own identity when it comes to sustainable cooking.

<p>Closeup of Parsley in the Fresh Greene's preservation container on Sept. 20, 2022. Fresh Greene's, an organic buffet style eatery located in Russell House, serves as a fresh and healthier alternative food option to the campus community.</p>
Closeup of Parsley in the Fresh Greene's preservation container on Sept. 20, 2022. Fresh Greene's, an organic buffet style eatery located in Russell House, serves as a fresh and healthier alternative food option to the campus community.

An example of the Fresh Greene's sustainability is its hydroponic farm that produces a variety of fresh grown herbs. The dining hall also composts. 

According to their website, Carolina Food Co. has diverted over 500 tons of organic waste away from landfills. The dining hall is impactful with its sustainable and health-conscious practices.

Fresh Greene's is the best and most well-rounded dining hall on campus, incorporating a unique and flexible menu along with a good environment and sustainable, healthy practices. There is always an option for everyone, and the cleanliness and friendliness make it stand out

Any student struggling with their search for sustenance should take a stroll on Greene Street and step into Fresh Greene's.