Valentine’s Day can often involve cute chocolates and dinner dates, but these traditions aren't the only ways of showing affection on this romantic holiday. Some loved ones might show appreciation for each other through acts of service — like making breakfast in bed.
If you’re looking for a cute breakfast to make for your valentine, one way to show your love could be with a batch of homemade heart-shaped biscuits, baked with care and flavored with sweet potatoes.
Cook time: 15 minutes
2 cups of self-rising flour
¼ cup of sugar
3 tablespoons of shortening
2 tablespoons of butter, softened
1 cup of cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
⅓ cup of milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake sweet potatoes based on your preference.
- Peel and mash sweet potatoes.
- Mix flour and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add in shortening and butter.
- Mix until the batter forms a coarse meal.
- Add mashed sweet potatoes and milk.
- Mix into a dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead it four-to-five times.
- Roll out dough to about ½ inch thickness.
- Cut dough using a heart-shaped cookie cutter and place onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Set cookies on wax paper to cool and brush with honey butter.