Shooting, killing of 20-year-old USC student deemed 'justifiable,' police say

<p>FILE — A photo of the street signs at the intersection of South Holly Street and Oceola Street on Saturday, Aug. 26, 2023. A USC student was fatally shot and killed in the 500 block of South Holly Street early Saturday morning.</p>
FILE — A photo of the street signs at the intersection of South Holly Street and Oceola Street on Saturday, Aug. 26, 2023. A USC student was fatally shot and killed in the 500 block of South Holly Street early Saturday morning.

The fatal shooting and killing of a 20-year-old of USC student was deemed justifiable, the Columbia Police Department announced in a press release Wednesday.

Police said officers responded to a "home invasion" call on South Holly Street around 2 a.m. on Aug. 26 where Nicholas Anthony Donofrio, a second-year exercise student, was found deceased on the front porch of the home. 

Officials said Donofrio attempted to enter the wrong home in the Rosewood neighborhood by "repeatedly knocking, banging, and kicking" at the front door of the residence. 

Police said a female resident called 911 and another male resident grabbed a firearm while Donofrio was at the front door.

Donofrio broke the front door window and "reached inside to manipulate the doorknob," while the female resident was speaking with the dispatchers. Police said the male resident then fired a shot at Donofrio, hitting his upper body.

The Columbia Police Department and the Soliciter's Officer said the shooting was a justifiable homicide under the Protection of Persons and Property Act, a law allowing citizens to defend themselves from intruders in their home.

Police also said in the release the firearm was legally owned for the "purpose of personal and home protection."

Columbia Police Chief W.H. 'Skip' Holbrook said the lead investigator worked to gather all of the facts and has maintaned contact with the Donofrio family during his invesitgation.

"This is a heartbreaking case for all involved," Holbrook said. "We at the Columbia Police Department extend our deepest condolences for their immeasurable loss."

Donofrio's fraternity, Phi Kappa Sigma, created a GoFundMe to establish a scholarship fund for USC and Daniel Hand High School in Madison, Conn. in memory of Donofrio. The group has raised $113,801 of its $125,000 goal.

"Nick was fun, charismatic, energetic, and a true man of honor," the GoFundMe post said. "While his time with us was short, he made a significant difference in the lives of all of us and everyone he knew."