Board of trustees unveils new $172 million student apartments, debates Wi-Fi reliability

<p>FILE — Secretary Cameron Howell (left) and trustee Alex English (middle) sit alongside USC President Michael Amiridis (right) at a board of trustees meeting on Aug. 18, 2023. The board approved a new research project, a new student advocacy center and a contract extension for head baseball coach Mark Kingston during the meeting.</p>
FILE — Secretary Cameron Howell (left) and trustee Alex English (middle) sit alongside USC President Michael Amiridis (right) at a board of trustees meeting on Aug. 18, 2023. The board approved a new research project, a new student advocacy center and a contract extension for head baseball coach Mark Kingston during the meeting.

New university-owned apartments are coming to Greene Street, USC's board of trustees announced in a meeting on Friday.

The $172 million project will build student apartments, named 737 Gadsden, at the corner of Gadsden and Greene Streets. It will welcome students August 2025.

737 Gadsden will have 940 beds in one, two, three and four-bedroom layouts. The 12-story apartment complex will also have around 14,000 square feet of retail space. 

“We are already in discussions with, really, restaurants about occupying that space, and there is a lot of interest already,” said Jason Caskey, the president and CEO of USC Foundations. 

The board also debated the reliability of university’s technology infrastructure.

“Wi-Fi is one of the primary concerns students have,” Student Body President Emmie Thompson said. “When you're trying to learn and you can't even get onto Blackboard to get your resources, that's a huge hindrance in your education.” 

The soonest the university can work on Wi-Fi at the Thomas Cooper Library is this winter break, according to Beth Brigdon, the vice president for information technology and CIO.

The university didn’t want to interrupt hundreds of students doing work, she said. 

Trustee Dorn Smith said cyberinfrastructure has been a continuous problem during the 13 years he’s been on the board.

“I'm not saying throwing money is the answer at it,” Smith said. “But I do have a friend that says that the answer is money — what's the question?”