Mario Anderson emerges as Gamecocks' top option at running back amid transition from Division II football

<p>FILE — Redshirt senior running back Mario Anderson breaks through to cover his teammates during play during the University of South Carolina’s matchup against Mississippi State at Willimas-Brice Stadium on Sep. 23, 2023. Anderson rushed for 88 yards on 26 carries, both season highs.&nbsp;</p>
FILE — Redshirt senior running back Mario Anderson breaks through to cover his teammates during play during the University of South Carolina’s matchup against Mississippi State at Willimas-Brice Stadium on Sep. 23, 2023. Anderson rushed for 88 yards on 26 carries, both season highs. 

Redshirt senior Mario Anderson was one of the top running backs in the country at the Division II level in 2022.

Anderson, who spent the first four years of his collegiate career at Newberry College, ran for 1,560 yards on 211 carries and scored 19 touchdowns on his way to being one of nine finalists for the Harlon Hill Trophy — the top individual honor for Division II football players.

Anderson decided to transfer to South Carolina last December and, since then, has become the Gamecocks' top option at running back while adjusting to a new offensive system and uptick in competition.

The Gamecock football program attracted Anderson from the very beginning because of the high expectations head coach Shane Beamer placed on players at the position, he said.

“He wants excellence in the room and you can sense that, just not even being in the building, just on social media and how the team carries itself and everything," Anderson said. "Just being able to be here in person and actually see it and hearing from the guys and everything, you know it made my decision a lot easier.”

Throughout spring practice and heading into the fall, Anderson said he relied on his veteran teammates at the position — sixth-year Dakereon Joyner and junior Juju McDowell — as he acclimated to playing for South Carolina.

"I just seize all opportunities possible. Look forward to working with the vets like Juju showing me the ropes, how it's done in the running back room," Anderson said. "He's been a good leader, helping me along the way."

As the Gamecocks' season opener against UNC drew closer, Anderson would find himself behind Joyner and McDowell on the depth chart, as Beamer opted to use the veterans as his top running backs.

Joyner and McDowell received the majority of snaps in the game, as Anderson finished with zero attempts for zero yards. After matchups against Furman and Georgia, Anderson's season totals sat at 41 rushing yards on eight attempts.

Anderson would have his most productive game as a running back since his move to Division I just one week later against Mississippi State, totaling 88 yards on 26 rushing attempts and scoring the first touchdown of his Gamecock career. After the game, Beamer praised Anderson for his positive performance against the Bulldogs.

“We just gave Mario a game ball in there for the way that he ran the football, so we're proud of him, and like all of our running backs," Beamer said. "Certainly, Mario showed what he can do tonight.”

Anderson credited his success to the time he spent improving his mental approach — something he said he did not focus much on at Newberry.

"I wasn't the strongest mentally coming in just because you know I've been playing D2 ball the whole time, so I had to adjust in that aspect and just mature a little bit more," Anderson said.

He said he has also adjusted his work eithic since arriving in Columbia, specifically in regards to his physical strength.

“It’s a constant grind every day. There's no room for mediocre, to be slack or anything like that," Anderson said. "Just really have to bring it every day, and I think that's really the biggest thing is the weight room for me."

While Anderson has experienced growth in these areas, he said there are some aspects of his game that still need improving.

"I feel as though my whole game can get better, no matter what it is," Anderson said. "I don't feel as though anyone can just be dominant at one thing or just the whole game in general."

pull-quote mario anderson.png

That improvement continued to be shown each time Anderson took the field on Saturdays after he reset his personal single-game rushing record against Tennessee. Most of his yardage came on a 75-yard rushing touchdown in the third quarter, but he finished the game with 101 yards on 10 carries.

Joyner said big plays like these are a key part of Anderson's game and hopes the adjustments he is making to his game lead to more success.

“I think everybody know bro’s explosive. He’s always been an explosive back, coming from where he’s came from. That’s just who he is,” Joyner said. "He’s going to continue to elevate and continue to grow, we’re just going to continue complementing each others’ games, play off each other, and just excited to see him grow."

Anderson heads into this weekend's game against Florida as South Carolina's leading rusher, with 230 total yards and two touchdowns on 44 attempts. As his workload continues to increase, Anderson said his teammates' faith in him is what will give him the confidence he needs to perform each week.

"I'm blessed to be able to be in a position to have my teammates trust me, and I trust myself to be able to go out there and trust my training," Anderson said. "And just being able to perform when the opportunity comes so being able to see my teammates and just talk to the guys and everything, and they trust me, it meant a lot."