Student Government executive panel: Candidates discuss platforms, running unopposed

<p>The Student Government executive candidates for student body president, vice president, speaker of the senate and treasuer answer questions during the Student Government debate on Feb. 14, 2024. From left to right sits Patton Byars, Courtney Tkacs, Maura Hamilton and Jacob Vaught, all of whom run uncontested.</p>
The Student Government executive candidates for student body president, vice president, speaker of the senate and treasuer answer questions during the Student Government debate on Feb. 14, 2024. From left to right sits Patton Byars, Courtney Tkacs, Maura Hamilton and Jacob Vaught, all of whom run uncontested.

Student Government's executive candidates hosted a panel on Wednesday in which they discussed their goals for their terms if they are to be elected.

The 2023-24 Student Government executive candidates are all running uncontested this season, so they answered questions in a panel format as opposed to the usual debate, beginning with all four of them sharing the stage.

The candidates were asked questions by representatives from The Daily Gamecock and SGTV. They were asked about the lack of competition in Student Government elections this year and why they believe that is the case.

All of the candidates said they believe there is a lack of contested positions this year because most students agree with their campaign platforms. 

“It's a testament to who each of the candidates are on stage that people have really rallied around what we want to run on,” said third-year political science student Patton Byars, the candidate for student body president. “People understand that Wi-Fi is an issue on our campus. People understand that people are not safe on our campus. And, also, they understand that student experience is not the best for all four years."

The candidates also said that even though they are running unopposed, they still want to improve Student Government outreach for the upcoming year. 

"It's really important for students to be able to connect with their candidates," said second-year nursing student Maura Hamilton, the candidate for speaker of the student senate. "And although there may be a lesser number of candidates than there has been in the past, I know that I'm working diligently to make sure that students know what I'm running for.”

The candidates then responded to individual questions about each of the executive positions they are running for. 

Student body president candidate Patton Byars

Byars said he plans to increase Student Government’s organizational and student body outreach if he is elected as student body president.

“I want it codified that student body president and every single executive officer should at least go to two different organizations every single month. We should be hearing from all different kinds of students,” Byars said. 

Byars also said he plans to follow in the footsteps of current Student Body President Emmie Thompson, who advocates for keeping the student body's best interest in mind.

“(Thompson) always tells me you've got to be the people’s president, and I hope I can do that as well,” Byars said. 

Student body vice president candidate Courtney Tkacs

Second-year public health and political science student Courtney Tkacs said that, as head of the Student Government communications team, she would improve Student Government’s outreach by meeting with students in person more frequently. 

“One of the big things is actually going in person. We focus so much on using social media, but I think we need to start turning to other outlets,” Tkacs said. “One of these outlets that I really want to implement is actually visiting U101 classes at the beginning of freshmen's first semester so they’re able to see first-hand what we’re doing and what we can offer them."

Speaker of the student senate candidate Maura Hamilton

Hamilton said she plans to increase Student Government’s communication with the campus community by improving organizational outreach.

“I want to make sure that senators are reaching out to these organizations that are specific to their colleges so they can find these passionate students, and No. 1, educate them on Student Government, and No. 2, hear their opinion on important issues,” Hamilton said. 

Hamilton also said she would form another ad hoc senate committee focused on reforming all of the Student Government codes to make them more accessible to the student body.

“I would like to make sure that the codes are just a clearly polished and easy-to-read piece of legislation that the entire student body can look at,” Hamilton said.

Student body treasurer candidate Jacob Vaught

Third-year mechanical engineering student Jacob Vaught said his main priority as treasurer would be to transition the current Student Government finance codes into the new codes that were authored by him and recently passed by the student senate. He would aid this transition by working closely with the senate finance committee and comptrollers, he said.

Vaught was asked about Student Government running out of funds for the second year in a row and how he plans to budget Student Government money in the future.

He said he believes Student Government managed the funds the best it could, but the depletion was caused by inflation and an increase in the number of student organizations requesting funding.

“Next year, if I win treasurer, I will to try to help organizations find ways to do things cheaper (and) have more stable events,” Vaught said.

Polls for the Student Government elections open on Feb. 20 at 9 a.m. and close on Feb. 21 at 5 p.m.