Softball starts 2014 season at home

Gamecocks host four teams in three days

Bouncing around the bottom floor of the brand new softball stadium, laughing and chatting away, the women of South Carolina softball are full of new life and energy.

With the team coming off their best record since Beverly Smith arrived as head coach and led the team to their first NCAA appearance since 2007, many believe that the Gamecocks can get back to the status they once held under Joyce Compton.

In her 24 years as head coach, Compton led 13 teams to NCAA tournament berths and two College World Series appearances. With so much returning talent on the team and an added layer of depth, things are looking up for the Gamecocks. That depth, however, will make it awfully difficult to determine the last few slots in the lineup, a “problem” that coach Smith is pleased to have.

“It is certainly a great problem to have,” Smith said. “We talked about it several times in our coaches meetings. We are going to have a talented bench, so it is a peaceful feeling knowing that I can make changes in the lineup and not feel like I made any changes at all. And I think it’s going to be a lot of fun to manage that.”

Play time for some underclassmen could also be pegged as an issue, and with so much talent, a lot of different of people should be seeing the field this year.

“You know I think everyone will get a lot of playing time this year,” Chelsea Hawkins said. “We have a lot of depth, and if there’s maybe one person who’s in a slump or not having a good game, then we trust coach to make the right decision and pull someone off the bench and we trust that they’re going to do their job and step up.”

One underclassman who should be making some noise this season is freshman Kaylea Snaer.

Making her way from Rowland Heights, Ca., Snaer has already been tabbed as the starting first baseman for the Gamecocks and will also serve as the cleanup hitter on offense. Over the past two years, she has received numerous honors for her play. Snaer was named a MaxPreps second-team All-American in 2012, and was a member of two consecutive national championship teams while playing travel ball with SoCal Athletics.

Snaer attributes her early success to the mentality she took coming into college.

“I guess I just came in with the mentality that I was going to be an impact player and I worked hard alongside my teammates to help make this team better,” Snaer said. “We always say that we are playing for something bigger than ourselves, and that’s what I’ve been doing.”

The weekend ahead for the Gamecocks has some very favorable matchups against the likes of Ohio, Presbyterian and UNC-Greensboro and many expect them to take care of business with a sweep.

Their inaugural game on Beckham Field, however, may prove to be their toughest challenge as they face an Iowa team also coming off a 30-win season and on the cusp of a top-25 ranking.

“We’re just so excited to actually face an opponent. Certainly we feel very confident. Our team is very prepared, and we’re just excited to get out and show off our brand-new stadium and play against another team.”

Hawkins was a little more succinct about her expectations for this weekend.

“I expect four wins,” Hawkins said. “Nothing less.”