Gamecocks' season comes to end against Knights

The South Carolina Gamecocks, fighting to the last at-bat, found themselves eliminated from the Tallahassee Regionals after a 5-2 loss to the UCF Knights Saturday evening at JoAnne Garf Field. The Gamecocks faced the Knights after a victory against Dartmouth only a couple of hours earlier on Saturday. They paired off against one another earlier in the Regionals, resulting in a 4-1 loss for the Gamecocks.

The Gamecocks set the tone early in the game with a run in the bottom of the third inning. Junior Ansley Ard reached second after being walked and stealing second. Sophomore Kaylea Snear ripped a single RBI down the left field line to put the Gamecocks on top. However, the Knights quickly responded in the forth inning, exploding for five runs off of six hits in the inning.

The Gamecocks attempted a rally in the seventh inning. Junior Alaynie Paige started the rally with a single to the pitcher. Sophomore Victoria Williams advanced 90 feet after being hit by a pitch, allowing Paige to second. A single up the middle by Snear allowed Paige and pinch runner Kate Shereyk to advance, with Paige crossing home plate. Lauren Masters grounded out to first base with Snears and Shereyk advancing.

The rally came to an end with the tying run at bat. A strike out by freshman Krystan White signaled the third out and an end to the Gamecocks season.

Nickie Blue (20-9) took the loss for the Gamecocks over seven innings pitched. Blue gave up five runs on ten hits. She recorded three strikeouts in her outing.