Brief: National Mentoring Month recognizes community leaders

January is National Mentoring Month, a holiday observed with reverence by Lexington-Richland School District 5. Initiated in 2002 by the Harvard School of Public Health, the holiday seeks to open up opportunities for mentorship between youth and adults in communities across the country.

The schools in Lexington and Richland County have nearly 150 mentors that provide encouragement and assistance to the students in the district. According to District 5 Mentoring Coordinator Michele Major, mentors in the area are community members, teachers and parents — all dedicating their time to help students of the community grow and thrive.

“Young people expect time and attention from people who love them,” Major said in a press release. “But when they have other people, outside of family and friends, think they are special they begin to believe it of themselves too.”

National Mentoring Month has gained significant support since its launch from prominent leaders, such as former President Bill Clinton, Sen. John McCain and more. President Barack Obama even made a presidential proclamation to declare January 2016 National Mentoring Month.

“Throughout our Nation’s history, Americans of every background have worked to uphold this ideal, joining together in common purpose to serve as mentors and lift up our country’s youth,” Obama said. “During National Mentoring Month, we honor all those who continuously strive to provide young people with the resources and support they need and deserve, and we recommit to building a society in which all mentors and mentees can thrive in mutual learning relationships.”