Student Endorsement: Ben Carson

Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson speaks with the media before addressing supporters at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, Calif., on Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2015. (Allen J. Schaben/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

I am a Ben Carson supporter. Most people, upon hearing this, assume that I have no knowledge of political issues, and I’m jumping on the next best bandwagon after Trump. They apparently haven’t yet realized the second-best bandwagon seems to be Cruz as of late. The truth is, I did my research, and Ben Carson is the candidate that I share the most political views with. 

Ben Carson believes that the government should stay out of healthcare. He believes that we need to increase our border security and stop accepting refugees from Syria. There are measures we need to take to keep our country safe, and so far America is failing at that. Free college is not worth increasing taxes for people that worked for their money and happen to have earned more than the rest of us.

Welfare recipients should be required to work and take drug tests in order to receive government assistance. Planned Parenthood should be shut down. It isn’t doing our country any good, and the government should not fund any place that performs abortions. The Affordable Care Act, also known as "Obamacare," was a mistake that should be eliminated. Gun control is not a serious problem in our country. Global warming is a natural occurrence, and there isn’t anything the government can do to stop it. These are the issues that are important in my political opinion.

Saying that, there are a few things that I disagree with Dr. Carson about. I believe that the government needs to keep up with the changing times in our society. Marijuana should be legalized, and same-sex marriage is a big part of the world we live in. I believe that background checks should be performed on anyone trying to purchase a gun and that people on the government “no-fly” list should be banned from buying them. 

If the government believes you are too dangerous to board a plane, you are too dangerous to buy a gun. I also believe that space travel should hold off until we decrease our national debt. Dr. Carson disagrees with many of these stances. The thing about it is that he is the candidate who has the best views on what matters in our country.

Dr. Carson’s intelligence and education would bring a new analytical light to the presidency. I believe he would look at a situation from many angles and points of view and decide from there what is best for our country, no matter what the backlash. This is what we need from our next president. Someone who will not be influenced by the senate and big contributors is important in this time. This is why I support Ben Carson as the next president of the United States.