No. 2 Gamecocks keep rolling with overtime win over Florida

The No. 2 South Carolina women’s soccer team continued their historic season Sunday afternoon, taking down No. 17 Florida 1-0. The Gators again proved to be a tough opponent as they took the Gamecocks into double overtime.

The two teams were scoreless through regulation and the first period of extra time, as it took over 100 minutes for either team to break through. Two minutes into the second overtime period, senior midfielder Chelsea Drennan was awarded a penalty kick and fired it into the top of the net, earning the Gamecocks the win and preserving the undefeated season.

Coming into Sunday's game, the Gamecocks knew they had a challenge ahead, as their series against Florida has been heated lately. Prior to Sunday’s match, eight of the last 10 meetings between these two teams have been decided by a single goal, with two of the last three going into overtime.

A lot of things have been going well for this powerful South Carolina team, but the defense has been exceptional. During Sunday’s top 20 matchup, the score was tied at zero at the half, marking the 13th time this season South Carolina has held their opponent scoreless at the half in 15 games. The Gamecocks also continued to have the edge on their opponents on shots taken during the game; their defense being able to stop the other team from getting near the net has been huge in close-scoring matches.

Goalkeeping has been a big factor for the Gamecocks so far. South Carolina welcomed two newcomers to the team this year in Mikayla Krzeczowski and Hunter Peifer. Both have seen time this season, but Krzeczowski has started in 12 games, while Peifer has started in three. Both goalies have excelled, as they’ve allowed a total of six goals among them over 15 games. They’ve recorded eight shutouts among them, Krzeczowski with six and Peifer with two. 

Entering Sunday’s matchup, Krzeczowski notched 28 saves with a .848 save percentage, ranking in the top 40 in the country. Krzeczowski has also proved her talent, as she was Week 6 SEC Freshman of the Week, and Week 8 SEC Defensive Player of the Week. Her first impressions with this team have been outstanding, and haven’t gone unnoticed.

Drennan said Krzeczowski "does not act like a freshman."

“Her leadership back there is crucial for our success this year and we depend on her to come up with a few big saves,” Drennan added.

Veteran players have also proved to be the leaders they needed to be. Drennan and junior Savannah McCaskill have been at the top of South Carolina’s offensive leaders, notching 18 and 29 points, respectively. Drennan set a program record in career assists on Oct. 9 against Arkansas with 34. She is just two shy of tying the program record of game-winning assists.

The Gamecocks have a special team this year, off the field as well as on. The team has significant talent, but the chemistry has brought them to another level

“Our team is awesome,” Drennan said, adding that the camaraderie on and off the field makes them better and more successful on the field.

"In the moment, like in double overtime when the grind gets going and it’s hot and we’re all really tired and we’re like okay we’re playing for each other, let’s grind things out and I think that’s what really makes us successful this year," she said.

“This year, especially, it’s not just chemistry; it's that they hold each other accountable and push each other in a good way,” head coach Shelley Smith said. 

“They love each other as a family and stay together in the ups and downs and that’s huge,” she added. 

South Carolina is now 14-0-1 (8-0-0 in SEC) this year. The Gamecocks travel to Vanderbilt on Thursday as the regular season begins to come to a close.