Emphasis on run game could determine Missouri vs. South Carolina

As the successor to legendary Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel, Barry Odom has had lukewarm success in his first season for Tigers. Standing at 2-6 overall and winless in the SEC, Missouri comes into the game against South Carolina after being handed a loss from Kentucky 35-21.

In a three-game stretch following a season-opening loss to now-No. 14 West Virginia, Missouri was playing their most promising football of the season. Sandwiching a heartbreaking loss to Georgia, the Tigers dismantled Eastern Michigan and Delaware State by a combined score of 140-21.The Tigers looked to have a high-powered offense behind the arm of sophomore quarterback Drew Lock, the hands of junior receiver J’Mon Moore and the legs of running back Damarea Crockett. 

Since then, they haven’t won a game, losing four straight while being outscored 168-87. 

Against the Wildcats, they were outgained 582-386 yards, including being doubled up on the ground, only gathering 157 yards compared to Kentucky’s 377.

That’s not to say their offense is a total hoax, though. Lock is sitting second in the SEC in passing yards with 2,215. Moore, his favorite target, is third in the SEC in receiving yards with 551 and tied for second in receiving touchdowns with six. Their running game hasn’t been as effective as of late, but Crockett and his fellow back Ish Witter have sustained a two-headed attack that has potential to break out. Crockett has gained 601 yards on the ground while Witter has had a 471-yard season.

Some of the blame could fall on the defense. Missouri's total defense is ranked 13th in the SEC and 117th in the nation, giving up a total of 475.6 yards per game. The Tigers have been particularly vulnerable against the run, ranking last in the SEC with 240 yards a game, but South Carolina’s running offense is also last in the SEC, so this could be the game the Tigers needed to get back on track.

The Tigers' best unit on defense may be the linebacker corps. Redshirt Junior Donavin Newsom is a volume tackler and a key piece of the Tigers defense. He’s currently tied for ninth in the conference in total tackles with 55. Beside him is senior Michael Scherer, a hard-hitting player who is 11th in the SEC in tackles with 53.

South Carolina is coming off one of its best offensive games in its win against Tennessee, and it looks like there is potential for it to roll the momentum into the Missouri game.

The game is Saturday at 4 p.m. The SEC Network will televise the game.