South Carolina offense heated up for season-high numbers in win against Missouri

As a team that ranked 123rd in total offense with an average of 318 yards a game, the Gamecock came alive this week in their 31-21 victory over Missouri with a season-high 428 yards.

South Carolina bested their season average by 110 yards. While the running game still struggled, the arm of freshman Jake Bentley carried the Gamecocks.

Through the first half, Bentley had a near-perfect QBR of 178.7, going 14-19 for 159 yards and two touchdowns, and he didn’t drop off in the second half. He added another 95 yards to that total in the second half.

Head coach Will Muschamp spoke about Bentley's character, which helps anchor his game.

"Jake is a very grounded, humble guy. He goes and he watches film and prepares himself. He's hard on himself. He's not a guy that you don't need to sit there and correct and get on." 

His favorite receiver of the night was redshirt sophomore Deebo Samuel. The two worked the left side of the field, particularly in the third quarter. Bentley and Samuel linked up on a couple of big 20-plus yard plays in the second half, and Samuel ended the night with 125 yards, eclipsing his previous career high of 106. He also added seven yards rushing, including a six-yard touchdown off a jet sweep.

The running game did come along, though. On a drive in the fourth quarter, the Gamecocks went 68 yards on eight running plays to score a field goal by Fry, who broke the all-time South Carolina record in points on an extra point earlier in the game, surpassing Collin Mackie’s 331 total points.

The offense ended the night with 174 yards on the ground even though they only had 99 yards through the first three minutes of the fourth quarter.

The defense played well enough in the win too. Even though the Tigers managed to outgain the Gamecocks with 465 yards, the defense made plays when they needed to.

With Lammons out again with a targeting call, sophomore Rashad Fenton was called on for a second week in a row to fill his spot, and he handled his own, including a big interception when Missouri was driving with a score of 21-21 midway through the third.

After that, the offense strung together one of its best drives of the year. Bentley and company went 98 yards to put South Carolina in the lead with a 20-yard touchdown run by freshman Rico Dowdle.

The Gamecocks move one game away from bowl eligibility. They take on Florida next weekend in The Swamp.